1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Android Keyboard: Hyphenated words problem

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by James D, Jan 7, 2015.

1. James D

James D Lurker
    None

Jan 7, 2015
    Whenever I type hyphenated words, eg "all-knowing", "re-elect" and "Ann-Marie", my keyboard automatically corrects it to "all - knowing", "re - elect" and "Ann - Marie" (with spaces both sides of the hyphen). It's quite tedious having to go back each time to change it back; does anyone know how to fix this?

I've a bit of a weakness for a compound adjective and this comes up a lot.

Thanks in advance for help (or even just reading!)

(I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Note III Neo. Not sure which android update I'm working on but I've had this issue since I got the phone 4 months ago.)

Advertisement

2. hiredgun

hiredgun Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2014
    I don't hyphenate a whole lot, but if my memory serves me right, both Swiftkey and TouchPal, which I use, both handle what you want to to seamlessly AND they are both free!

3. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    I don't hyphenate a lot either, and as middle school English teacher in China I avoid compound adjectives where possible. But SwiftKey can handle them very well, once it knows the particular hyphenations you use regularly.

4. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert
    None

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    SwiftKey allows hyphenated words. As long as the word is in your dictionary, it will not put spaces between hyphens and you can type without the hyphen and it will auto-correct it with the hyphen (provided the non-hyphenated word is not also in the dictionary).

5. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Newbie
    None

Jan 7, 2015
    Cincinnati, OH
    As everyone else has said, SwiftKey is the way to go. It is superior to Google's keyboard in every way. It's dictionary and predictive text options (doesn't automatically correct) are good out of the box and get better and better the longer you use the keyboard. I've been using SwiftKey for about two months and I can compose relatively basic texts or texts I send frequently just hitting the first letter of each word and then tapping on it.