1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Android L 32 or 64 bit

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Carl3000, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Carl3000

Carl3000 Guest
    None
    I'm currently using the Xperia Z3 Compact as my main phone but I was wondering should I upgrade to the Nexus 6.

I here all this talk about Android L and why its so good but people were upset that the Nexus 6 is still only a 32 bit phone so people were saying it can't take full advantage of Android L capabilities because it is optimized for 64 bit.

Whats the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit phones running Android L? Will the 32 perform lower? Will it have like less battery life or something.

So should I stay with the Z3c, upgrade to the nexus 6, or just wait for the new wave of flagship 64 bit Android L phones to come next year?

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    The best I can tell, the 64 bit phones on the market at the moment are mid/low end, so even if they get Android L, performance gains will be negligible.

There is always going to be a better phone on the horizon, so there's very little point in worrying about devices/leaps in technology so if you're happy with what you have, I'd hang fire for now.

Edit - Apparently, there's a 64 bit version of the Note 4 available in some regions.

3. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    Mostly retired
    Kansas City, Mo.
    IMHO right now there's not much reason to worry about 32 vs 64 bit. It's a situation much like there was with computers a few years ago where even though 64 bit hardware became widely available it took quite a while for software that could take advantage of 64 bit capability to catch up.

I'd say if you're happy with the Z3c keep it. If you like a really big phone and have the means and an uncontrollable itch to upgrade, the Nexus 6 is a beast. I have one on a UPS truck now. But if you're thinking 64 bit, well, maybe in a year, probably more like 2 or 3 you can get serious about it.

El Presidente likes this.