• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Android L

I installed this and now when my phone boots, the messaging app crashed and the com.android.phone process is crashing. After it crashes I click ok and the phone runs normally, except the text message app always crashes. I'm using Hangouts to text until I fix it or flash the phone back to defaults.

I've removed the Android L apps data and uninstalled it.

Also it may not be working because yesterday I restored the "SMS Storage" Data Only from my old lg motion, to move over my texts, but the texts didn't copy over. Perhaps I should just use the LG Backup to restore texts and call logs from the Motion? Does LG Backup work from a different LG model?

Also I removed some apps from /system (did have backups of all of them) and uninstalled some from within Titanium. I will restore them and report back. I found another thread where someone had a similar issue:

http://androidforums.com/l70-all-things-root/862291-android-l.html#post6668298

One other non-standard I did is go into LG Programming, 3845#*323#, disabled LG MLT and re-enabled it. I did this to see if this is how they are censoring certain objectionable websites ;-), but they are not. Perhaps it's blocked at T-Mobile?

Upvote 0
Biggie, thanks. But I don't know what a rom does.

So far the keyboard works great and it's a separate app from the official 4.4 Google keyboard in the app store, so it won't overwrite it.

A ROM in this case is an image of an operating system used for your mobile phone (Android Jellybean , Kitkat, Android L). A custom ROM is basically a modified version of an operating system, allowing the user to customize the phone to the way they are comfortable.

ROMs can be made specifically for a device, permitting there is a supporting community for that device. I am running the Xperion ROM on my LG F6, with a lot of customizations.

ROMs should only be installed if you are comfortable with the possibility of damaging your phone if you mess something up, or if something goes wrong.

Reactions: Nintendo1889
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones