• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android, lay cell down no notification tone

designer

Lurker
Apr 29, 2020
I'll make it quick...LOL
Pro 35 not a well know make, but all was working OK then someone said "I been calling you"
I didnt hear them.

lay down the cell on its back....
NO NOTIFICATION TONES
Stand the cell UP
I HAVE TONES
all notifications ...Ringing, messenger, whats app....no tones from any
the sound defaults I change to LOUD and in about 1 hour they all go back to defaults

I have factory reset 2 x
No new apps installed
android 6.
Cell says updates are current, but I'm not so sure

I have searched for answers but it doesnt seem as if anyone else has this problem

I've met phones where you can set them to mute by placing them face down, but never one that does it face up. It might be worth checking through your system settings, especially sound-related but also anything related to customisation, notifications, gestures, etc, just to make sure that there isn't an option in there that has been set to a strange default ("default" because a factory reset will set all settings to their defaults). Look for any option that might mute based on orientation: it could be that a problem with the senor has changed how it behaves, so I'd turn off anything that might be orientation-dependent.

And when you say "no new apps installed" do you mean "I didn't restore any apps after the factory reset" or "I've not installed any new apps around the time this started"? If the first then fine. If however you did restore the apps you previously had installed you may have restored the cause of the problem. Not having installed new apps doesn't exclude the possibility that an update to an old one caused this. Maybe try running in "safe mode" for a bit: if the problem is still there then it's part of the system or one of the apps pre-installed by the manufacturer. If the problem goes away in safe mode then it's one of the apps you have installed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones