• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Live Scores

Another small annoyance is that there is no "today" ... every time there was an update on the last play or field position, the 49ers were referred to as "TEN."

You're running an older version of the app. It sounds like maybe 1.4.2 or older? 1.4.4 is out as I mentioned at the top of this thread ;)

One unfortunate point to note is that 1.4.2 and above is not available to users running Android OS 1.5. Live Scores 1.4.1 will continue to work for awhile, but as of Live Scores v1.4.2 we've stopped support for Android OS 1.5 phones.

Some of the other features you mentioned, about tabbing and a home page. I think our widget that is going to be coming out soon will deal with that nicely. You will be able to add multiple widgets to your desktop which will display the status of a game.

Upvote 0
The Avs/Wings scored 9 goals and the alerts were perfect, but the basketball alerts were way too often.

hahaha thats actually great news to me! Too many alerts says to me that the new server I switched everyone over to is holding up. I was monitoring it all day and it seemed to be mostly snoozing, so I think we can handle quite a bit more load, but lets see what happens when NFL games start on Sunday/Monday. Thats when our alerts are at their peak.

We're coding sport-specific alert options AS WE SPEAK. Hopefully you'll find them more useful than just game start/end/score change.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the update on the scoring, I think with such an active developer and an already good app this is going to turn out to be great.

Agreed. I'm excited. Hopefully we'll start seeing some of our suggestions in action soon :)

Great updating during the Rays game tonight too. Everything right on time and accurate.

I know, what a great idea for the developer to become a member, and be so available to suggestions and comments, and be responsive.

Awww, gee you guys, I don't know what to say! ;)

I take a lot of pride in Live Scores. I've been the only developer working on this app, so I raised this baby all on my own. I work on it at work, and when my day is up, I go home and work on it some more. I really want to get all these great suggestions out to you guys but its hard when its just me. I did get a new developer assigned to help me and he started last week, so hopefully once he's up to speed we can start cranking out more features!

Reactions: Markus729
Upvote 0
You're running an older version of the app. It sounds like maybe 1.4.2 or older? 1.4.4 is out as I mentioned at the top of this thread ;)

One unfortunate point to note is that 1.4.2 and above is not available to users running Android OS 1.5. Live Scores 1.4.1 will continue to work for awhile, but as of Live Scores v1.4.2 we've stopped support for Android OS 1.5 phones.

Some of the other features you mentioned, about tabbing and a home page. I think our widget that is going to be coming out soon will deal with that nicely. You will be able to add multiple widgets to your desktop which will display the status of a game.

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Yea, I was running 1.4.2. For some reason, my market wasn't showing me that an update was available. I uninstalled/reinstalled the app and it is running 1.4.4 now.

Appreciate it!

Upvote 0
@aarontharris

Great application and thank you for your follow up and dedication to continued development

Unfortunately, I will not be contributing any more to this thread of this forum, as it seems the moderation of the forum has become so intense that posts are being outright deleted. With that in mind, I would be cautious that you are not actually receiving all of the posts/replies/feedback in this thread/forum.

Best of luck in the future and I will be following your development of this application!

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
@aarontharris

Great application and thank you for your follow up and dedication to continued development

Unfortunately, I will not be contributing any more to this thread of this forum, as it seems the moderation of the forum has become so intense that posts are being outright deleted. With that in mind, I would be cautious that you are not actually receiving all of the posts/replies/feedback in this thread/forum.

Best of luck in the future and I will be following your development of this application!

Thanks again.

Why would someone delete posts in this thread?

In any case, I appreciate all your input. I encourage you to check back from time to time to keep up on the latest releases as I will continue to update the latest release notes within Post#1 of this thread.

Upvote 0
A post was deleted on here where that user had a little jab thrown at the guides. Shots at the people who volunteer to try and keep this place tidy are frowned upon :)

Please carry on. Until there is a widget I'm afraid I won't have much to contribute to this thread, other than desperately wanting an actual UI.

I see...

Widget will come. As for the UI, I hope you're not having to type in commands to get scores from our app :p

The styling will change, but as far as the general navigation, that is difficult to change at this point. Many of our users have become familiar with the navigation and layout of the features, if we change it to make some users happy, the other users will become unhappy. I'm working on a compromise to add some usability conveniences and maybe move the switch sports button out of the menu but these wont be in the next release, but maybe the following.

Upvote 0
My problem is not having any real menu on the screen, and everything needing to be initiated by clicking "Menu" then going where I want. It adds an unnecessary step in navigation IMO and makes it feel clunky. I know you posted something previously about why that was decided upon, but I still am not a fan (of the navigation) at all :p

I like it the way it is. It is better to see more of the scores or whatever IMO than having a menu in the way all the time. Is it really that much work or that time consuming to push the menu button instead of having all that screen space covered all the time by the menu?

Reactions: bberryhill0
Upvote 0
I did think of a suggestion regarding the news stories in the app. Would it be possible to select which news services I want to use in the app? For example, a lot of times ESPN and CBS and Fox will all report the same exact AP story and it shows up three times in my list. I'd maybe just prefer to see ESPN stories or something.

Also, is there a way to see more news stories or is it just the 15 or however many?

Edit: Also, when I click a news link and then click "back" the news list is sort of distorted and doesn't wrap properly I don't think.

Upvote 0
No problem with hitting menu button either. That's what it's there for in Android.

Though, I think someone earlier pointed out an inconsistency where the same item comes up in a different spot depending on which screen you are on. I noticed that as well.

Yeah I noticed the sports button is in a different spot for MLB than the rest. The problem is, you don't exactly position menu options in Android, you list them in order. The problem is caused because MLB has the extra "Stats" button which pushes "Select Sport" over one.

Maybe I'll move "Select Sport" into position #1 so its always the same.

I also feel like the "Android Way" is to use the menu button, but I like the light-touch of buttons on the old Droid, the new Droid X has physical buttons that are more annoying to press.

I'm thinking about adding a switch sports button at the top-left corner of the screen like the iphone version.

Upvote 0
I also feel like the "Android Way" is to use the menu button, but I like the light-touch of buttons on the old Droid, the new Droid X has physical buttons that are more annoying to press.

I had the Droid and now the X, I love the buttons on the X. I would always hit the capacitive buttons on the Droid by accident.

Upvote 0
I've been using Live Scores a while as well although I've juggled between Score Center (which I don't like) and it. I just downloaded Sports Tap this morning and then stumbled upon this thread. Live Sports is definitely the best of the bunch I've tested thus far, although there's a few additions/fixes I'd love to see:

-Notifications aren't perfect but I noticed that last week during the Saturday football games I was getting score updates much more frequently than in weeks past. I assume this is from the update. It's still not perfect but alot better than it was.

-The entire interface is a bit disjoined, I think (as mentioned above) it's because everything goes through the menu. Settings, Alert Info, Team Info, etc, more controls on-screen would be nice. Team Settings especially, the two windows on top of each other just looks odd. I'd prefer a side-by-side with easier controls for adding and removing teams. I'd especially love to see the ability to add more than one team at a time. I'm big into SEC football, I want to follow all the SEC teams, instead of one swift move I've got to move 12 teams separately.

-The app itself seems to be a little sluggish at times. Switching to different menus, changing sports, etc. It feels like it should be faster, maybe I'm crazy though.

-One thing I love about Sports Tap is that it tells you what TV channel the nationally televised games will be on. I'd love to see this in Live Scores, maybe taking it a step further and letting us enter our region or zip code so it lets you know what network even the regional games will be on.

-More pre-game in depth analysis and team statistics. Sports Tap/ESPN give me the game preview complete with point spread, team stats, etc. You've got buttons that let me vote on who I think will win... I'm not sure what you want the goal of Live Scores to be but personally I'm looking for a one stop "all the info I want" app.

Overall your app is great, I won't be ditching it for Sports Tap but I wanted to see what it was like. Keep up the good work!!

Upvote 0
-One thing I love about Sports Tap is that it tells you what TV channel the nationally televised games will be on. I'd love to see this in Live Scores, maybe taking it a step further and letting us enter our region or zip code so it lets you know what network even the regional games will be on.

-More pre-game in depth analysis and team statistics. Sports Tap/ESPN give me the game preview complete with point spread, team stats, etc. You've got buttons that let me vote on who I think will win... I'm not sure what you want the goal of Live Scores to be but personally I'm looking for a one stop "all the info I want" app.

Totally agree with these 2. I would love to see what channel games are on locally and it would be nice to have the point spread on the app also.

Upvote 0
I agree with everything Kabob, except the speed thing - I've never had a sluggish issue in Live Scores. But everything else I concur with.

Ya know, maybe I am crazy. I just fired up the app to time everything and it's alot faster than I remember it being. I've not had a chance to really mess with it since before the update so that could be the difference, or maybe my memory is going already (entirely possible).

So yeah, disregard that part of my post! :D

Upvote 0
Overall your app is great, I won't be ditching it for Sports Tap but I wanted to see what it was like. Keep up the good work!!
Good luck with the notifications on Sportstap. Hope you don't mind being frequently notified of updates when the score hasn't changed. That's the reason I uninstalled Sportstap. Plus, their support is non-existent. Their interface, information and widget were nicely done though.

Upvote 0
Good luck with the notifications on Sportstap. Hope you don't mind being frequently notified of updates when the score hasn't changed. That's the reason I uninstalled Sportstap. Plus, their support is non-existent. Their interface, information and widget were nicely done though.

That's why I said I wouldn't be switching to Sports Tap. I've heard really mixed reviews on ST. It is pretty to look at a has alot of nice bits, but overall I like LS more.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones