• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android locked screen notification: New Samsung S4

sniazi

Lurker
Jul 5, 2013
I'm new to Android platform and specially Samsung s4 phones. There is something that is really bothering me about the Android Platform which is the lock screen. I can't seem to get any shortcuts or notification or anything when the Samsung S4 is locked with a password. In iOS device you can see these notifications on a locked scree *How do I get that working on the samsung s4 ? Missed calls, sms,exchange emailsAll I want is notification with pin code

My phone is passcode protected with Microsoft Xchange active sync

Same problem here. I've tried a couple different lock-screen notification programs to work around it but with PIN or Password lock you can't seem to use any widgets on the lock screen.

This and issues with my work wifi hanging up every time the device sleeps is leading me towards returning it. (S4 Active)

Upvote 0
I have an SGS4 and use and app called "Executive Assistant" for my lock screen. It allows me to see missed calls, SMS, agenda, text, next alarm, new facebook postings, new emails. You can even set up some widgets and app short cuts. You can see a snap shot of missed notifications, but have to enter your pin to access the app. if your phone is locked. I really love it and it works very well. You can customize it too. I hope this helps.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appventive.ExecAssist&hl=en

Upvote 0
Yeah, Samsung took a step back with the S4 lockscreen. The S3 still had a swipe screen over the lock where you can see notifications. Which was weird since why would they remove it?

Two options you can use, one built in, one you can buy from the Playstore.

One, the S4 has a built in "quick glance" setting. It should somewhere under the Motion settings. If your phone is on your table, and the screen is off, simply reach for it and look at the screen, do not touch any button. If it is active, it should light the screen up due to the motion and proximity detector and show notifications for missed calls, messages, and a few other stuff.

The other option is Widgetlocker. Basically this is a replacement lockcreen. When active, it will sit on top of your secure lockscreen (you have to swipe it away first before entering your code). You can put widgets, app shortcuts here and what not. Basically just like a homescreen. You still need to input the passcode though everytime you try to launch an app or whatever from this screen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones