• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android LTE - A true world phone?

wbogart

Lurker
Aug 15, 2010
I travel a lot between the USA and Europe, in each place for up to 9 months at a time.

I have always had unlocked GSM phones that supported the standard Euroepean 2G & USA 2G bands.

Am now looking for a Android phone for heavy data use and am dissapointed that despite the fact that my phone would be carrier unlocked, I will be forced into using AT&T in the USA because T-Mobile does not use the European 3G frequency.

LTE is coming soon though. Been reading about it and confused on how it will handle different legacy network types (gsm/cdma) and bands.

Can someone offer a bit of detail? Will this solve issues with incompatible GSM bands (the idea being that a LTE phone is backwards compatible across all legacy networks)? For instance, would a Verizon LTE phone work on GSM networks?

A bit of clarity would help guide my planning.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones