1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Android Market 3.1.3 available on Desire?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by westbros, Aug 26, 2011.

1. westbros

westbros Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 8, 2010
    I had heard a while back that a new version 3.0 of Android Market was being rolled out. I have now read on another website that version 3.1.3 is available which includes among other things the ability to set a 4 digit PIN code for downloading pay-for apps, which means extra security if you should be unfortunate enough to have your phone stolen.

However, I am still languishing with version 2.3.6 and cannot find any mention of Market on the Market. I can understand that upgrading the Market via the Market could cause some conflicts, so how exactly do I upgrade it? Where do I find it (besides going to other sites such as xda-developers)?

I've also read that version 3.x is a bit laggy on the Desire and takes up approx 7MB of the internal memory. Is this true? And if so, is it worth the while installing? If I don't like it can I revert to 2.3.6?

Sorry, lots of questions there. But I'd be grateful for some advice on this. :)

Advertisement

2. rtb35

rtb35 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 2, 2010
    Just search for it on Google and you will find a link to download it, there is one on xda.
    Then just use astro file manager to install it.
    Personally I did not like it because yes it is laggy and I don't like the look so I went back to 2.3.6.
    Found a link for you,
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1231525

3. westbros

None

Aug 8, 2010
    Thanks for the reply. I'm aware that it can be downloaded from external sites. But is it supposed to be available directly from Android/Google OTA? According to Android's website they started rolling it out in the middle of July, yet I've received no OTA notification in the last 6 weeks about a Market upgrade.

Can you also confirm that it takes up a significant amount of (for us Desire users) precious internal memory?

4. Myarse

Myarse Newbie
    None

Jul 15, 2011
    Working for 'the man'
    West Sussex, UK
    Hi, I'm not sure why you're waiting for it OTA? if you want to give it a try download it from xda as you can uninstall the update if it's not to your liking.

Yes it is quite large at 7.7mb on my phone, yes it is a bit laggy but I'll stick with it as I quite like the new layout.

I would highly recommend rooting and installing a custom rom (guessing you haven't) as you won't have to worry about your internal memory, I took the plunge about a month ago and now wonder why I waited so long! It makes your desire the phone it really should have been :D

Hope this helps.

5. imcat

imcat Member
    None

Dec 27, 2010
    OMG! This version came down on to my phone automatically when I connected to the Market in the US using a rlocal SIM.

It is TOTAL RUBBISH

It blew my memory out of the water - 4mb bigger than the old market.

The user interface is difficult to use and not intuitive.

It is full of bloatware you will never use.

In the end I unistalled all Market updates from my phone to get it back to factory condition and I am not oing to touch Market until I get back to Europe. I just hope this never rolls out there.

6. westbros

None

Aug 8, 2010
    Many thanks for the replies. I don't want to root the phone, so I think I'll either wait until the day it becomes available OTA (if it does) or I'll probably just leave it. The current Market works OK for me, and even that can be a bit laggy on start-up. Not really sure what the benefits of the new version are for me, to be honest. In 12 mths I'll be looking for an upgrade to a new phone anyway, and that will come with the new version for sure.

7. westbros

None

Aug 8, 2010
    Many thanks for the replies. I don't want to root the phone, so I think I'll either wait until the day it becomes available OTA (if it does) or I'll probably just leave it. The current Market works OK for me, and even that can be a bit laggy on start-up. Not really sure what the benefits of the new version are for me, to be honest. In 12 mths I'll be looking for an upgrade to a new phone anyway, and that will come with the new version for sure.

Tags: