• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android market apps for PDN (Without hacking)

STEP 2: Know your goal and you have Options... Options... but Hell... I want the market...
Remember... APK files are what you are after... Keep this goal in mind... you WANT APK FILES... and the best place for those is the Market! But... There is no way for your PC to buy or download anything from the market. Ok from this point I could have stopped, forgot about the market and made due with the many many sites that hold apk apps that will run on the PDN device. In fact there are many fun apps that can be obtained without the market, but... the market is where most of the good apps are, and for that mater where most of the better updated versions of the good apps that you can find else where are.

Take Gameboid lite, which is by far one of the best game boy emulators out there... The versions you can get form the web are nice... but the version I'm running off the market is about 100% times better... the buttons are nice... transparent... and I even have A B and R-shoulder L-shoulder touch screen buttons on my screen... And many of the roms that fail on the other versions work very well on the one from the market.

So what was my goal... an APK file of the newest Gameboid Lite that could run game like golden sun without freezing up... This is how I got it...

Upvote 0
STEP 3: Emulate the GameBoy... Emulate The Android... (warning the next steps take time...)

During my internet searches for the newer version of Gameboid Lite... I came across an interesting article about how to use your PC to test out apps you are making for Android... this is where I found another key to victory, although I didn't know it at the time. Believe it or not there are programs for your PC that will completely emulate an Android OS... and when run on your computer will in fact even be able to access the internet as if they where real devices, your mouse can even click on the Emulated Device's screen like it's a touch screen... in fact if you sign into your gmail account with the device it will even tell you if you have new mail. These Emulated devices however do not have the market on them, and do not really save apk files... but instead use an image file of an Android OS system to tell the emulator what programs the Device would be running. These Fake android devices also do not have the market app and it is impossible to transfer files from your computer to them or get files from them to your computer... meaning getting the market on them, or getting apk files off them is

Upvote 0
Step 4: We are going to need some Back Up... or at least to BackUp

Ok to put it simply... after step three is where I thought I had really been bested. The apps that I download didn't save anywhere I could get to them... and there was no way to get the apk files off the Emulated device as one, it wasn't a real device, and two, it was changing the files to not really be apk but just the big image file for the whole OS... I could even look through the device

Upvote 0
Step 5: You have dropped some time into this... guess it's time for a Drop Box... or an In Box
Now that you are staring at your goal right in the face we have a new problem... how to get those ripe apk files from the Emulated hell and onto you pc.

Well here is where you have some options... click and hold down the mouse button, over the apk file you want, till a box pops up... from the list of options click send... you will be given a choice of programs that could receive the file... by default you will only have once choice, Gmail... but I had thought ahead...

I had already downloaded Drop Box. Since the emulated device has internet, Drop Box does sync up if you have Drop Box on your PC, meaning you get those lovely apk files off that emulator easy as pie... I would also like to point out that selecting gmail for these apk files found in /sdcard/backup/apps will also work at this point as the files will no longer ghost out on you... However Drop Box is a bit more clean and once you get Drop Box on your PDN(haven't got that far yet) you could in theory get files right from the emulated device to your PDN with it. Although getting to your computer first is the better way to go as it allows you to put the files where you want.( as in ether your internal sdcard, or onto an external sdcard)

This means the path for getting an app onto your PDN is as follows...

Android Market → Emulated Android Device → DropBox → Your PC → Your PDN's Internal SDcard (or) an External SDcard to be placed in your PDN.

I hope this help someone... if It does plz tell post so, as I'd love to know this helped...

God Bless:
Ark Angel HFB

TL : DR
Go read one of your ebooks... You really don't need the market, am I right?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones