• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android Market blocking items for certian phones?

I hope its not just me. But there has to be an update for google maps by now.

We are at 3.1.2 i think.

When i search for google maps in the market, i get everything but google maps.

I was trying to get infinity web browser as well, and this never shows up for me. But it is in the market.
Just as google's websight says that google maps is on the market, and they dont offer a download.

So, is sprint/samsung blocking stuff in the market? do we have our own speical market or something? I'm not seeing to many apps that say "must have root access" either.

We are at 3.1.2 i think.

I was trying to get infinity web browser as well, and this never shows up for me. But it is in the market.
Just as google's websight says that google maps is on the market, and they dont offer a download.

So, is sprint/samsung blocking stuff in the market? do we have our own speical market or something? I'm not seeing to many apps that say "must have root access" either.

They block updates that are not compatible with your phone. You should have the stock google maps on your phone, and you are stuck with it until Samsung updates the Moment with a new firmware.

Upvote 0

We are at 3.1.2 i think.

It is also missing 'Google Goggles'
I am pretty sure (though I have not confirmed) that there is a type of auto-filter on the android market based on the version OS you are running. Some apps are simple enough to work on all android devices, some apps are specific to those at 1.5 or below, and some are version specific to 2.0 or 1.6 or whatever. What you are looking for may only be compatible with versions over 1.5, and because of the filter the market doesn't reveal those. This helps to establish less risk in accidentally DLing something that either doesn't work, or bricks your phone.

Upvote 0
Wow, coulda fooled me with the market that only displays things compatible with my phone.
All those "droid only" stuff that wont work on our phone, and the 2.0 only stuff.
And 1.6 only stuff that dont work on our phone.

Boy oh boy.
What a PITA, gj samsung/sprint.
??? I am pretty sure it is up to the developer posting the apps to specify to which platform the app applies. So you can blame them for posting an app under all platforms, when it should only be posted under 2.0, and then more specifically labeled for Droid only.
How is Sprint/Samsung supposed to control the market? And how is the market supposed to control someone else mislabeling the application platform?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones