• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ANDROID MARKET download/update problem via WiFi

chocobobg

Lurker
Aug 18, 2011
Hi, i have a problem downloading/update apps from market via wifi.
I've read a lot posts for this problem and i've tried all methods to make that work, but it wont.
1st - reboot (more than 5 times) - didn't work
2nd - change roms (tried more than 5 diferend roms) - didn't work
3rd - change account (both @gmail, @googlemail) - didn't work
4th - Factory Restore (few times) - didn't work
5th - formating SD + Factoy Restore - didn't work
6th - login/logout GTalk - didn't work
After that i realise that youtube also wont work, it says "There was a problem while playing. Touch to retry.", again only via wifi.
7th - open port 5228 on my rooter - didn't work
8th - change routers firmware to tommato (open ports again) - didn't work
So what i do next, i go to the nearest wifi and try diferend router - same - didn't work, i go to my friend who use a diferend inet provider, and guess, it works perfectly. So now icant uderstand where the problem is. I have that phone for six monts, never have a problem with that before it just happened in the middle of the day, i call my provider and ask him bout some changes, no there are no changes at all, but my friends provider is also a mobile operator, but is differend from my mobile operator. I cant uderstand where is the problem.
my phone - no - couse i download via my friend operator
my operator - no - couse there are no changes(it works for six month)
google - no - couse i download via my friend operator
I take the phone of my fried didnt download at my place, but download at his place - same provider
i dont know, if anyone can help pls post
!
10x in advance and sry for bad english

I've got exactly the same problem. Both my android tablet and phone can't download/update apps on the market or view videos via the youtube app from my home wifi.

I *can* use my phone's 3g connection (either directly or through a wireless tether to the tablet.

I've also rebooted, factory restored, reset the modem [running with no firewall].
This only started happening about 16 hours ago, and nothing has changed at my end [i.e. I was downloading apps just fine on my home wifi].

chocobobg: the only thing I can think of is that maybe your (and my) ISP is blocking access / being blocked by Google?

Upvote 0
I have the same problem from yesterday, was working fine until I connected into another WIFI and now cant download or update any apps, I can use the internet on the phone so know the wifi connection is working just cant download apps, tried youtube and that not working either.
Have tried all the suggested fixes but no joy, only thing is now all my apps are gone and cant put them back on the phone unless I want to all my 3g data which I would rather not.
If anyone gets a fix for this please post

Upvote 0
Now I think about it, that's the same as me. I connected to a separate wifi with my tablet and since then it didn't work at home.

A workaround I found for my phone was to switch 3g on [and wifi off], start the download, then quickly turn off 3g and wifi on again. It switched back and after a slight delay, continued with the download.

Unfortunately, I tried this with my wifi-only tablet and it wouldn't work [got the 3g connection via portable wifi hotspot on the phone]. Switching back to home wifi caused the download to halt again. :(

I've got a current case open with Google and their engineers have been replying to me. I'll let them know that this isn't a stand-alone case and direct them to this thread.

Their current reply is condensed to:
It sounds to me like
the wireless connection is definitely the problem - it's not a matter of
strength, but rather making sure certain ports are open.

You'll want to work with your provider to ensure firewalls are not
blocking access to ports required for Android Market to start downloads
(TCP and UDP 5228). Considering you were able to start the download on 3G
and continue on WiFi, this seems to be the issue.

Unless my ISP has idiotically blocked this port, I can't see how it's the issue. I definitely haven't changed anything in my network...

Upvote 0
I am now of the same opinion that it is probably something that vodafone has done but as you said how can you explain this so that they just dont pass it off as a google or some other persons problem, I am trying to see if I know of anyone else who is with vodafone and might try my phone there but not sure if any of my friends are with vodafone

Upvote 0
I have the same problem. Market won't download, YouTube wont play videos. Problem only exists when on wifi. 3G no problems. Can still browse internet as normal. My phone is Telecom but home internet wifi ISP is...VODAFONE. Hmmm...

Howzit buddy welcome to the forums! :)

Hmm that is very strange.

I am busy updating my YouTube application from the Android Market right now with Wifi,

Hmm...

What model phone / Device do you have?

What model do you guys have?

Maybe I can help :)

Regards

Stinky

Upvote 0
It's sounding more and more like the big V's fault.

I'd like to see a confirmation that the issue is happening to someone on two different wireless networks both connected to Vodafone. I'm going to wait until Monday to call, but if anyone else wants to ring sooner, please share how it goes here.

[edit] Hey stinky, thanks for the offer. My devices are shown in my profile. Problem summary is that over VodafoneNZ internet connection, apps cannot be downloaded/updated and the youtube app won't play anything (forever buffers).

Upvote 0
It's sounding more and more like the big V's fault.

I'd like to see a confirmation that the issue is happening to someone on two different wireless networks both connected to Vodafone. I'm going to wait until Monday to call, but if anyone else wants to ring sooner, please share how it goes here.

[edit] Hey stinky, thanks for the offer. My devices are shown in my profile. Problem summary is that over VodafoneNZ internet connection, apps cannot be downloaded/updated and the youtube app won't play anything (forever buffers).

Cool man!

No worries I should have looked at your devices my bad, ;)

Well just to let you guys know I have a Vodafone 845 and I am connected to Vodafone / Vodacom South Africa and it works off wi fi just fine in SA.

But sadly I don't know know that much about New Zealand except we gonna crush you guys in Rugby for the World Cup this year :)

But all jokes aside I don't really think I can help you guys

Have you updated you devices?

Maybe you need to update to a newer firmware or something?

Hmm very strange.

So is it only on wifi or is it on both 3G / EDGE connections as well?

Hmm very weird.

Have you downloaded wap settings and all that jazz?

Upvote 0
Stinky stinky, I have a Samsung Galaxy S with gingerbread 2.3.3, released recently through Telecom NZ. I haven't had any problems since the release...or maybe I have. Not so sure now. Data costs are horrendous in NZ so this is not a good thing for market and you tube apps to only work on 3g connection. I have yet to confirm that it works on another ISP wifi. Will report back when I get the chance to test.

Upvote 0
I have Galazy S and have been working fine until Friday (or may be Thursday but didnt notice) apps would nolonger download or update, although it was working at client site which is through telecom isp.
I suspect that Vodafone NZ did an upgrade or something that has broken something, want to retest on other isp now to confirm and also see if I can find a friend that has a vodofone conection to test and then hopfully confirm that it is a vodafone problem.
Next step will be to see if vodafone will do anything to help but not sure how to talk them through this and will prob find that anyone who answers the phone will find this over there heads

Upvote 0
I have an Idos X5 and a Galaxy Tab. Both have stopped (very recently as per other posts) updating apps or allowing downloads of new apps via wifi. I am with Vodafone. Apps update fine via 3G. So it seems like Voda may be the problem. I tried new versions of the Market app (and old versionsdowns) but still the same outcome. Getting vodafone to fix it may be a challenge!!

Upvote 0
SmileyChris:

Hum... I just try to connect to your address and got the following from my phone:
Data connectivity problem - A secure connection could not be established.

Could it be the sourse the reason why I can't download/update anymore from Android Market?

I have disabled wireless security on my router... so open network.

Is there other setting on my router that I'm not aware?

Thanks!

/////////////////
Update:

Oups.. tried HTTPS instead of HTTP...
i had hope...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones