• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Market for new users

kbanes

Lurker
Aug 9, 2010
The Atrix will be my first Android phone, and my first phone with a "application market" ecosystem. I did own a WinMo Focus for 30 days, but it was just as the WP7 market was just getting started.

My observation is the Android Market is a mess. I can't really browse for anything and see interesting apps. I can't sort by star rating.

I thought that the new Android Market was supposed to make this easier. If so, I would have hated to see the old Market.

Is there any curated site that does a better job of organizing this mess? Will I have to wait for Amazon?

The Atrix will be my first Android phone, and my first phone with a "application market" ecosystem. I did own a WinMo Focus for 30 days, but it was just as the WP7 market was just getting started.

My observation is the Android Market is a mess. I can't really browse for anything and see interesting apps. I can't sort by star rating.

I thought that the new Android Market was supposed to make this easier. If so, I would have hated to see the old Market.

Is there any curated site that does a better job of organizing this mess? Will I have to wait for Amazon?

You could use phandroids which can search by rating:

AndroidApplications.com

There are others out there as well.

Upvote 0
Is there any curated site that does a better job of organizing this mess?
Try my fave, AppBrain. You can start making and populating app lists now, before you get your phone, and then install from there (it'll kick you to the Market to install). Generating a list of apps of interest there will get you suggested apps in return, which is another very useful feature.

Reactions: vitaminj7
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones