• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android Market hangs on "starting download"

When this happened to me it was due to different google account settings in the market application compared to some other application/system settings (changed name from googlemail.com to gmail.com). I could find no way to set/clear the settings for the market application and ended up changing the settings in all the other applications that differed to match the one used by the market.

If anyone knows how to get at the market settings on the phone and at the google end it may be useful to post it somewhere because this does seem to be a common problem.

Reactions: azzronulation
Upvote 0
I had the same problem, but as the post below says it was because i was using googlemail.com not the newer gmail.com , once changed it worked fine, I had to do a full reset to re-enter the email address though.

When this happened to me it was due to different google account settings in the market application compared to some other application/system settings (changed name from ). I could find no way to set/clear the settings for the market application and ended up changing the settings in all the other applications that differed to match the one used by the market.

If anyone knows how to get at the market settings on the phone and at the google end it may be useful to post it somewhere because this does seem to be a common problem.

Upvote 0
> Sounds a bit stupid but how do i change from googlemail to gmail?

One used to get notices suggesting the change when accessing google accounts. The switch was somewhere in the Settings option if I recall correctly from when I was trying to diagnose the problem. That is, Settings when you log into your google account on the web rather than something stored on the phone.

Upvote 0
Same problem happened to me friends. What I did was that:-

1) From browser settings cleared cache, browsing history.
2) Factory resetted the phone.
3) Took out sim card and microSD and reinserted them again.
4) Configured GPRS settings manually once more and saved it.
5) Made sure that data profile plan was still active and was in use properly.
6) Finally visited Android Market, and started to download everything from the
beginning.
7) Only thing, do not forget to make a back up copy of your contacts and microSD
card contents on your PC or laptop before factory reset.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones