1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Android Market Story

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by ezcry4t3d, Jul 11, 2011.

1. ezcry4t3d

ezcry4t3d Lurker
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    I purchased: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.eamobile.tetris
    on January 10, 2011 10:44:24 AM PST

My phone had to be reset due to hardware problems, this is when I discovered that:
    At some point subsequent to my purchase, EA changed the Market properties of this app so that I now get two errors when I try to re-download it:
    "This app is incompatible with your Verizon HTC ADR6300 (last used July, 2011)."
    AND
    "This item is not available on your carrier."
    I get these errors even though I am using the same device and carrier that I made the original purchase, completed the original download, and actually played the game numerous times with. It is also my ONLY Android device to date.

EA then Re-Posted the EXACT SAME APP to the market at:
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.eamobile.tetris_vzw

Note, the only difference is the addition of "_vzw" to the app name, and that the Market says I did NOT purchase this one (of course) and must pay $7.99 for it.

EA support says "Rufus G.: You would need to contact android support in order to get that refund."

"Android Support" by which he means Android Market support, does not seem to exist in any form I can find and contact.

Discuss!

Advertisement

2. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Engineer
    'neath a cactus
    Have you tried contacting the folks on the AM support team?

Contacting Support - Android Market Help

I've heard mixed reviews about contacting these folks on support issues but your mileage may vary...

3. ezcry4t3d

ezcry4t3d Lurker
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    I had ended up in a the Google help forum when I tried to contact them before, where there were multiple complaints that Google never reads anything in there. I'm not sure how I missed that support section before, but my problem has been submitted now. We'll see what happens...
    Thanks for the response!

4. ezcry4t3d

ezcry4t3d Lurker
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    *EDIT: To clarify, when I sent this in to Google, I sent in what was in the original post above, but I failed to include the last bit about having already contacted the developer.

The Google Response:
    My Response:
    I probably should have included a bit about how during the EA "support" session Jessica confided in me that Rufus G was "well-equipped" (Her words, not mine...) It's a detail I could have lived without... LOL

5. bbrosen

bbrosen Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    Google, wow, just freaking awesome tech support. Sad sad state of tech support for anything anymore. I feel for those who are not nerds and have trouble getting help with technical stuff. Tech support by email is slow, lacking and unproductive. Might as well do tech support by postal service with the janitor. thats about as helpful as it gets these days for anything. When i had my iphone, any issues i had with the app market, apple fixed it or refunded the money, on the spot, no fuss no muss. loved it. Don't know why people say you cannot get refunds from the app store, I did when i needed it and my wife still does as she still has her iphone. Plus you could call and talk to a real human, and not send an email and 2 days later get a generic response to fix the issue like the op did. then send an email back, re explaining the same thing, waiting 1-2 days, longer if a weekend or Holiday, and getting maybe "try a reboot". then emailing back stating you already did this, and waiting........well you get the idea.

I understand Google products are free, but when money is used then their should be real live human tech support. Google is ultimately responsible for the market. One thing I miss about apple is the real support for hardware, software and the market. all in one place with real people. We are even lucky enough to have an apple store in our little town so we do not need to ship anything, just exchange it.

I love googles products, i use chrome, picassa, google+( which I love ) and google search as well as gmail. I have a samsung Galaxy s phone. Google just needs more human interfacing when it comes to paid products is all. And if they must do email support, for the love of God, please have intelligent people answer with a relevant answer to the problem and in a timely manner.

6. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    IMHO EA dropped the ball here.

EA benefited from your earlier purchase - they got paid for the app. I don't understand how they could push this off to the Google Android Market support.

I've seen many developers here who refund or give free apps at their discretion, Android Market is basically not involved directly.

EA published the app, they got your money, they need to own up to this problem and resolve it for you.

Android / Google is just the middle man, they offer a mechanism for the app to be available and published, but the app developer should be held accountable for this mess.

I agree with you that Google should offer better live support to Android users. A customer advocate team would be a great start.

7. ezcry4t3d

ezcry4t3d Lurker
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    I agree 100%, but it's clearly not going to happen. So now, Google needs to resolve it. That's why they get a cut of every purchase, to make sure problems like this don't happen.

Since developers can apparently just block re-download of apps whenever they want, I will be very reluctant to purchase anything again. I thought I would be able to re-download all my purchased apps, or I never would have reset my phone without rooting and backing everything up with Titanium Backup (Which isn't really an option for the majority of users.)

8. ezcry4t3d

ezcry4t3d Lurker
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    Just got this email, and the App is no longer blocking me from re-installing. Problem resolved.