• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Market won't work

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In the settings it says:
Model number: SGH-T959V
Hmm, well if it did not automatically update itself to the PlayStore as @Hadron 's device did, I'm not sure if you can force it somehow.

However, that link I posted does not specifically list your model number:
Capture.PNG

So it may not work, or update at all.

You may have to find another device. My best guess, being that old of a device, there will be limited apps that will work with your android version.

Speaking of which, what version is that thing on?

Upvote 0
Android Market ? Do you mean Google Play Store ?
Android Market was the earlier version, before Google expanded it to include a lot of other stuff that wasn't android and gave it a silly name (because Play Store is a silly name for something that isn't just or even mostly games).

Reactions: James_Watson
Upvote 0
Hmm, 2.3.6 should be OK to update. Of course they deprecated the Market app so long ago that the Market Updater (I think they called it, before Google Play Services) may no longer even work to update it to Play.

I don't know what else to try. If it was rooted you could see whether there was something you could do (i.e. whether there's a Google apps package that includes Play for that version - take a system backup first!). Without root you may be able to find a version of the Play Store apk at apkmirror.com that's compatible (probably an old one), but I don't know whether you could just install that by itself as a user app and it actually work: I rather suspect it might not (e.g. it may need to be installed as a system app, and at some version it will need Play Services as well to work).

Upvote 0
Curious how you came by it OP, but I see it has 1GB of Storage (512 ram) with only half of that available.

As you probably need the Google Play Services app (353 mb on mine) along with the Play Store app (79mb) and the Download Manager app you probably have, I can't see it working.

Can you use online services generally? Chrome, Maps etc.

You made me mournful of my Galaxy Note 3 in it's earlier days with the green battery icon and black settings screens you have :sob:

https://www.phonemore.com/samsung-galaxy-s-4g-sgh-t959v/specs/1040

<< I didn't know this site, but even Sammobile doesn't recognise it any more, I think.

If you have the original or an old battery I wouldn't expect much life in it anyway.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones