1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Android Market

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by toscal, Aug 12, 2011.

1. toscal

toscal Well-Known Member
    None

I sent an email to Google complaining about limited access to the android Market. Guess what 24hours later I got a reply.

Advertisement

2. lfc4ever

lfc4ever Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 20, 2011
    A Chinese factory not wanting to pay a US company for licensing rights, what a shocker :swoon:

3. Rabid1

Rabid1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 15, 2011
    With the latest version of market I have full access and only a few apps do not show in search.

4. toscal

toscal Well-Known Member
    None

I think the compatibility test is free. Mind you they might be anti-China at the moment. With the Chinese gov't wanting certain results from Google filtered.
    Any way they may have no choice soon, as I can see the Chinese buying some of the US debt for certain shall we say benefits. Read this as being able to import stuff into the US without paying too much tax.
    The Chinese have already bought some of Spain's debt for certain benefits.

5. technowizard66

None

Jul 19, 2011
    So is there any way to update the market or any way to get more apps for my flytouch 3

6. lfc4ever

None

Jul 20, 2011
    Yes, get the new market app apk and install it manually.

7. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 Member
    None

Aug 3, 2011
    Where do I find the app?

8. lfc4ever

None

Jul 20, 2011
  9. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 Member
    None

Aug 3, 2011
    *claps * that was well called for !!
    Found it after 20mins of trawling google!

Humn looks like the Classical Angry birds was pulled, I only got to 2-9!

10. mburwen

mburwen Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 29, 2010
    Petaluma,CA,USA
    Although the new Android Market is an improvement, it still won't locate some apps and won't allow you to download some others. I tried a couple of paid apps, and it would not process the purchase. Told me that
    I didn't have the right version of the payment module.

Most apps can be found elsewhere by doing an Internet search, but it may take a while to find them and some of the download sites seem kinda fishy to me.

If you have an Android phone that has passed the Google requirements (and all of them sold by a major carrier have), then you can download the app to your phone, upload it from the phone to DropBox and download it to your FT3 from DropBox. This is an efficient method once you get used to it. The DropBox Android app automatically will install the app on your FT3.

11. BillHally

BillHally Newbie
    None

Aug 4, 2011
    This dropbox sounds interesting, I would like to install Word Worm on my wifes FT3 but it does not appear on the market and I cannot get the download links that I have for Word Worm to work at all. I also have Android on mt HTC phone so maybe I can do it this way can you explain a little more about Dropbox and how it works please?

TIA

12. lfc4ever

None

Jul 20, 2011
    Dropbox is perfect for getting those apps from the market that your tablet cannot download directly, but your phone can.

Create a dropbox account: https://www.dropbox.com/ using your or a PC if you can, it is free for the basic account (which I have used for years now without needing extra space - yet), larger accounts have to be paid for.

In your account settings, create a folder called for instance apps

Remember your email & password used.

Get the dropbox app from the apps market onto both your tablet and your phone, enter your credentials, log into your account, you should see the folder apps on both devices? So if you dragged an apk file into that folder, both devices will see it and could download it, it's a bit like cloud computing, dropbox is the cloud where you store files, your PC and android devices can upload & download to & from the dropbox account, ie the cloud. So it doens't matter where you are, at work, home, on the road etc, it is your space accessible from many devices where you happen to be.

Titanium Backup on your phone & tablet (I even went pro and paid for it) is my preference, it can sync to a folder on your dropbox account automatically. So if you see an app on the apps market that you would like on your tablet, but your tablet cannot see it, or it is a paid app, then use your phone to get it and pay for it if necessary. Run Titanium Backup Pro and backup that app on your phone after it is installed, sync that app with your dropbox account, it uploads the 3 files to the dropbox account, now go to your tablet, open up dropbox and grab those 3 files, download to your tablets Titanium Backup Pro folder, and now run Titanium Backup and do the restore, it will "restore" that new app to the tablet. Easy.

I actually use SwiFTP to move my backup files around from my phone to my tablet, but if FTP is not your thing, then use the dropbox method.

If something is confusing, please ask away.

GL.

PS - if anyone wants to open a new dropbox account, drop me a PM with an email, we both get extra space if I invite you so we both win :D Thanks

BillHally likes this.
  13. BillHally

BillHally Newbie
    None

Aug 4, 2011
    @ lfc4ever

Thanks for a great reply it is certainly appreciated! I am very new to Android but have been around PC's for to many years ;)

Dropbox sounds great and FTP is definately my thing as I use it all the time so maybe this is the route for me.

I took a look at Titanium BU and it is available to me from the market, currently my phone HTC and wifes tablet FT3 are both unrooted and I take it they will need to be to use Titanium?

Once installed I understand that I can simply back up a single application? then restore to the other device after FTPing the relative files across?

Can I backup up the required apps to my SD card and copy them over that way also?

Also its a real shame that when downloading from the market (I assume an apk file) that file cannot be recovered some way as it must get stored somewhere for a while and then moved over?

Appreciate your help :D

Hally

14. lfc4ever

None

Jul 20, 2011
    Yes - both devices need to be rooted, however, if your tablet is not rooted, then I would suggest you are not running tim5e rom, if you are not running that rom - then you are, imo, not getting the best out of your tablet that you could be.

There may very well be a way to extract the apk file from a downloaded app on your phone, not that I know of yet on my phone, but maybe there is a generic way that others could shed some light on perhaps?

You could of course get the apk file from something like this " android Word Worm apk - Google Search " , then use your pc to grab the apk file, drop into the dropbox share folder on your PC and share it with the tablet or other devices, Open up dropbox on the tablet, and bingo - there is the file to click on, download & install.

There's always more than 1 way to skin a rabbit :D

I get to use the amazon app store as well, but that is because I have relatives in the US that set me up with an account, and then there is driodappz (search online for the reference android droidappz), and then again there is repositories, (again use search for the reference android repository list).

There is more to life than the dreaded google app store for our beloved tablets :D

15. bigbaldbloke

bigbaldbloke Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 8, 2011
    For single apps, use Astro file manager. Just open it up, go into Tools, Back Up & check the app(s) that you want. Click on Back Up & that will put the relevant apk(s) in the Backup folder on your SD card, ready to be sent via Dropbox.

lfc4ever likes this.
  16. lfc4ever

None

Jul 20, 2011
    So it does, thank for that, and if you like FTPing then use FlashFXP on your PC, and SwiFTP on your devices, you can open up in different tabs both your phone and your tablet using FlasFXP on your PC and copy files over really easy. If FTP is your preference, or use dropbox, always best to have options so users can choose a preference.

17. BillHally

BillHally Newbie
    None

Aug 4, 2011
    Guys I appreciate your input and thoughts :)

That Astro does do exactly what I need indeed thanks bigbaldbloke!! I can now go ahead and purchase the app and just move it over cheers all around :D

I use CuteFTP on my PC all the time so I will go ahead and install Swiftp and make my life easy lol

Thanks again guys.

18. BillHally

BillHally Newbie
    None

Aug 4, 2011
    Update guys as now we are cooking with gas lol.

SwiFTP installed on both the HTC phone and the FT3. App backed up with Astro then FTPed wirelessly to my laptop and then out again wirelessly to the FT3 for installation :D Seamless works great guys good stuff.

19. lfc4ever

None

Jul 20, 2011
    Good stuff :D

Now, if you got FlashFXP, you could have your HTC in the left window, your FT3 in the right window and just drag the file over and it moves it over for you in a single action saves the double action you did earlier.

FlashFXP is the FTP to use for server to server tx, and as SwiFTP sets up servers on both devices, it makes sense to use it.

Shout if you need further assistance. :thumbsup: