1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Android Media Process Alert in WatchDog

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bander68, Oct 1, 2014.

1. bander68

bander68 Member

I really don't know what I did to cause this to start appearing. My Watchdog Lite program just started giving me alerts that the Android Media Process is using too much CPU.

Unrooted/never rooted. TMobile non-LTE, running 4.3. (4.4.x hasn't been made available, so no switch.) The alerts seem to somehow be related to my use of the Music Player, but I've been using it exactly the same way for over 2 years and only in the last 2 weeks did I begin getting these alerts. They're coming multiple times per day. I can always KILL the process in Watchdog, but it comes back a while later. I tried adding it to the "White List", but then it just keeps sucking down CPU and my battery dies very fast.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Doit2it

Doit2it Android Expert

Sounds like an issue with your SD card. Try to remove and reinstall the SD card and see if the issue persists. If it does, the card may be unmounting and mounting randomly. Install an app called SD Card Monitor. It will run in the background and log whenever the card is mounted, unmounted, etc. Once installed, open the app and make sure the Off/On button in the upper right corner is On. Then open the app a few hours later to see if the SD card is misbehaving. If it is, a new SD card may be to answer to your problem.

3. svim

svim Extreme Android User

4. bander68

bander68 Member

I checked that thread and followed the advice listed below, and it seems to have worked.

"Solution: If you are running jellybean and notice the media process running and would like to end it's reign on your battery/ram...simply go to apps>all, scroll down to DOWNLOAD MANAGER, and click on it, scroll down to clear data and select ok. This won't harm anything, what it does is stops the media process from running a loop. I wanted to make this post so those out there like me who spent days trying to figure out the source of this running process could finally have an easy, viable answer!"

I won't call it solved until I go at least 24 hours without the problem resurfacing.

Another solution that helped, but is really faking it - I raised my threshold in Watchdog to 50% instead of the standard 40%. But that just stopped the alerts. I've dropped it back to 40% and am waiting to see what happens with the Download Manager trick.

5. bander68

bander68 Member

It didn't work. Rather, it worked until I listened to music again and then it came back. I've raised the threshold back up to 50% in Watchdog, and for now that's keeping the alerts away. But it's not a real solution, so I'll keep digging.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews