• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android memory leak (causes rage to all)

NozeDive

Lurker
Mar 4, 2012
First off let me start by saying that this is NOT a problem that is specific to any one make/model, nor will it appear on every make/model that experiences it. It does not affect any specific carrier. It does not affect any specific firmware version.

I have been all over this website, and many others, Googling to all hours of the night, for a solution to this problem. I have literally spent years looking for the answer, as it has affected me since the first Android phone I've ever had.

Incoming message rejected due to full memory. Please delete old messages.

I'm sure you've all either seen this message yourself, or have seen it posted, and have perhaps suggested a solution. First, let me list the things that do NOT fix the problem:

1. Deleting messages on the phone.
(There are zero messages on the phone, yet the warning persists - beeping every five minutes, and blocking all incoming text messages)

2. Deleting apps
(Only stock apps remain and problem persists)

3. Moving apps to SDcard
(When all movable apps were on SDcard, problem persisted)

4. Clearing Cache
(Cleared the cache of apps through the settings menu, with cache clearing aps, and clearing the cache partition through the recovery boot menu)

5. Rooting
(Phones are rooted, but still has the problem)

7. Freeing up RAM
(All running apps terminated, but problem still persists. I realize RAM has nothing to do with storage memory, but because I've seen it suggested a hundred times, i tried it anyway)

8.Rebooting/Hardboot/Softboot
(I've rebooted in every method imaginable, pulled the battery, etc. Problem still there)

The only thing that has any affect is a factory reset. This is only a temporary fix. The problem comes back.

Thing that can be deduced from the above statements are:

(1) This problem is not caused by too many text messages or apps or apps of a large size and

(2) This problem is not fixed by removing text messages or apps or moving apps to the SDcard and

(3) This problem is not fixed by clearing the cache partition, nor clearing caches for individual apps.

This is something that has been around since the first Android device and continues on to the latest firmware release.

It is not affected by carrier or make/model, One Droid can have the problem, and another Droid not have it. A Samsung Intercept on Virgin-Mobile could be free of the problem, while a Samsung Intercept on Sprint suffers from the problem.

What causes this? What is the real solution?

Reactions: kaarontf

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones