• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Messages (app) on tablet

colton1234

Lurker
Jul 29, 2018
I recently bought an iPad to try something new after using android for 10 years. I want to know do android tablets and android phones work seamlessly together using android messages like and iPad and iPhone using iMessage? I’d be surprised if not since you can use android messages on the web now, seems like it should worked across the board. If so, this is going back to the store!

They can certainly work seamlessly together using some internet-based messaging services, and there are SMS apps that have tablet versions that allow you to pair with a phone (SMS can only be sent via a cellular connection or via an SMS gateway). But you are asking about Android Messages specifically. I've not used the Web service for Android Messages, but I think you access it via a browser, in which case I'd expect you can probably also use it via a browser on a tablet, but maybe someone who does use it could confirm?

Whether you can use the Messages app on a tablet I'm much more doubtful: the app uses either SMS, MMS or RCS, all of which are cellular services. And the Play Store lists it as not compatible with my tablet, which is admittedly old but it is compatible with my previous phone which is on a slightly older version of Android, so my guess is that the messages app itself probably isn't available on a tablet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones