• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Messaging App

I have a Galaxy S6 running Android 7.0. I've always used the messaging app that was installed on the phone when I got it. The icon has a yellow background with a couple of comic-book-like speech bubbles in the foreground. Recently I became aware of the Google Messages app. Why is there a different app from Google when Android comes from Google? Would I gain anything by switching apps at this point?

Simply put your phone comes from Samsung that ships with its own messenger app. You then have Google's own messenger app that you can install and use. If you have a Google branded phone that will be your default messenger app.

This the one of the great things about Android, you can use any messenger app you like, you don't have to keep the stock app.

Upvote 0
I decided to try the Google Messages app instead of the Samsung app that I've been using for the past 3½ years. I didn't notice much difference or any great additional features in GM and then I noticed a big deficiency. In SM I frequently delete most but not all of the messages I've received from a specific person so their name still appears in the message list. Unbelievable as it seems, I found conversations from three years ago complaining that GM can only delete one message at a time in a conversation. That limitation still seems to be present in the current version of GM.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones