• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Messaging Apps

todonnell9

Lurker
Aug 11, 2010
Hi all,
I just ordered the Droid 2 and will be getting it tomorrow. This is my first Android phone and i was looking for some help. Does anyone know any apps i should get for messaging to start off? and to be more specific, I like the whole T-9 word use, and was wondering if anyone knew a way i could get that on my Droid 2. Any other apps you think I should get throw those in there too.

Thanks!:)

Ive been using Handcent since I first left my iPhone on the side of the road! Its a well developed application that integrates nicely into the OS. ChompSMS is nice as well but I didn't find anything in it that Handcent hadn't already done so stayed with Handcent. Either one has great options and additions and they both seem to offer similar extras, so I guess its really down to your taste. Try them both and ditch the one that doesn't work best for you.

Upvote 0
I've been looking for a reliable messaging app since I got my incredible, but I always stuck with the stock sms. The reason being is one HUGE glitch scared me away from handcent...the glitch where it would randomly send a text message to the wrong person from your contact list and pretty much pick a random contact to send the sms to. I can't really have that happen since I use my phone as my work phone and personal phone. It would be a VERY bad situation if a text message I was sending my girlfriend was randomly sent to someone from work or a customer.

I've seen people posting about this glitch earlier this year but I've never seen anyone confirm whether it not the glitch has been fixed or still exists? It's not something I want to risk. I guess my reason for posting this is I am very curious to find out if that glitch has been fixed.

I would LOVE to use handcent or chomp but I would like some confirmation as to whether or not that glitch is no more. Can anyone confirm this? Please? :p

Upvote 0
was there any confirmation that it was fixed in an update? Like I said I think handcent and chomp look amazing. I would love to try them both out but being at risk for such a serious glitch...is just not an option. That's why I was sticking w/ the stock sms...even though handcent is very tempting. I even checked their update notes on their website and I've got to say...they don't go into detail at all about what they fix and don't fix. :(

Upvote 0
was there any confirmation that it was fixed in an update? Like I said I think handcent and chomp look amazing. I would love to try them both out but being at risk for such a serious glitch...is just not an option. That's why I was sticking w/ the stock sms...even though handcent is very tempting. I even checked their update notes on their website and I've got to say...they don't go into detail at all about what they fix and don't fix. :(

I would not know as I do not really read all notes on updates.

Upvote 0
need help please!

Hey guys,

I have a HTC desire and my problem is that it won't let me delete my message threads! Everytime I try my screen goes white and stays like It for a while, even when I force stop, I've also tried clearing the data through the settings, it says it clears but then it comes back, and I'm not spending time deleting one at a time, now have over 3000 messages, any suggestions would be appreciated.
I also have the handcent but it still don't let me delete message threads, helllp is in need
Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones