1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Android... movies and music?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Acal, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Acal

Acal Lurker
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    I've been with iPhone for a long time now. But helped dad pick out a Droid X a few months ago and he loves it. I'm very attracted to the phone myself and it has got me thinking about switching to Android. But I talked to a couple dealers and neither could give me a straight answer on how to buy movies and music.

Could someone specifically tell me what is the most used / preferred method of legally purchasing movies and music with an Android phone? I'm not talking about indie record companies or Pirate Bay or Pandora or Youtube videos or ripping from CDs. I want to know what people use to purchase legitimate blockbuster movies and chart topping songs. Please! If I get another response that sounds murky/misleading I might give up on Android for good. Right now it doesn't sound like there is a real alternative to the iTunes store.

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. Acal

Acal Lurker
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    It says something when 29 people view a thread and not one can comment on a legal way to purchase popular movies / music, one of the biggest and best features for mobile computing. Ouch! Glad I didn't switch for just a change of scenery.

3. Recoil1

Recoil1 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 21, 2010
    It says maybe these people were interested in finding the same answer as you but didn't find it. So let me help you.

Music,
    This one is easy because anywhere on the net you can download MP3 from you can play them on your droid. This can be russian web music sites, torrent sites or any other site. But since you wanted pure legit sites lets start with Amazon.com MP3 Downloads: Free music, bestselling albums from $7.99, bestselling songs from $.99. Compatible with MP3 players, including the iPod

New2Doid and EarlyMon like this.
  4. Recoil1

Recoil1 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 21, 2010
    Movies,

The way I put movies on the phone is to burn them from a dvd and use handbrake to shrink them down to around 800MB and they look beautiful on my 4.3 inch screen.

There are apps out there that let you download legit movies to your phone such as Blockbuster but it seems to be over priced and gets low marks on the app market. Most people I know are waiting on Netflix to come to android and that should improve a lot of movie watching capabilities of the android phone.

Other than that I guess the easiest way by far is to get a torrent app and download the movie directly to your phone/computer. I only suggest this because the movie studios have made it nearly impossible to get a movie let alone a reasonably priced one onto your phone. Even their so called "digital recordings" that you pay extra for with you purchase of the DVD/BluRay are incapable of being played on most phones.

There are many other ways of installing movies onto your phone but I couldn't tell you the specifics since I don't use them maybe someone else will chime in.

EarlyMon likes this.
  5. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert
    None

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    My Android phone comes with Sound Hound which is an app that indentifies songs. I believe that you can also purchase songs through this app as well. Shazam is also another such app that you may be more familiar with. You these apps should have links to allow you to purchase the songs.

There should also be various music sites where you can purchase songs and movies and download them to your computer. Once the songs are there you can just copy them to your phone. Just connect the phone to your computer, set it as a USB drive and then drag and drop using the file explorer on your computer.

If you prefer to use a sync option, your phone should have an app that allows you to sync the phone to your computer. On my HTC, I have an option to sync my music. When you plug your phone into your computer, just choose the sync option (instead of USB drive) and then the syncing software will sync your music of your computer with your phone.

I personally do not prefer to use the sync option. There is more music on my computer than what I want to put on my phone. Also, if I decide to move my music files elsewhere on my computer, the sync option would end up deleting them off my phone. A friend of mine has an iPod music player. The computer he used to use was reformatted. Now he cannot ever plug his iPod into that computer or the sync will delete all of his music off his iPod.

EarlyMon likes this.
  6. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

Aug 21, 2010
    Male
    Infrastructure Engineer
    Ohio
    You can purchase movies with the blockbuster app, and download music with the amazon mp3 app, both are in the market.

EarlyMon likes this.
  7. Acal

Acal Lurker
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    Thanks for the replies, that Amazon MP3 store looks amazing!