• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android N Beta (not for the feint of heart)

Yes, you can reflash back to factory image (or you can go back to the opt-in site, and un-enroll - that should get you an OTA back to the latest "M" build, but will wipe your device in the process)

No Easter eggs to report, but if you want to know about all features, read up - http://www.androidpolice.com/tags/series_android_n_feature_spotlights/

Upvote 0
I ended up reverting back to the "M" stable image yesterday (was waiting for the June image to be available). No issues with the "N" to report, except one custom app that I use was giving me some issues.

Anyway, thought I'd share my "downgrade" story
If you do the downgrade the right way (un-enroll from the Beta program), and get the OTA back to the latest "M", it will likely go well - because it performs a factory reset on your phone.

I however, didn't wait to set my phone up from scratch (lazy), so I flashed the factory image for the latest "M" (and skipped userdata.img). Bad idea. Flash went thru' successfully, but I ended up with pretty much an unusable phone because two system processes kept crashing in a loop after booting up. I then tried ADB sideload for the new OTA image file - same results. Wiped cache partition - no difference.

I then remembered that some apps (like Google Maps) had different versions for "N", and realized that the issue must be because of apps like that not being compatible with "M". Thankfully, I had a nandroid backup of the "M" (May security release) from before I installed "N", and I installed that - and then, updated to the June security release of "M".

Whew!
So, in summary, If you are rooted, take a nandroid backup in TWRP before you install "N" preview. If not, plan to factory reset your device after going back (or while going back) to "M" - no shortcuts.

Last edited:
Reactions: electricpete
Upvote 0
Oh wow... NPD56N just started downloading. Sweet.
And???

Are you guys noticing any camera lag on preview 4? I don't recall noticing it on any of the other previews. Pity because otherwise #4 is a winner.
Missed this one before my last reply. [emoji1]

Are you guys noticing any camera lag on preview 4? I don't recall noticing it on any of the other previews. Pity because otherwise #4 is a winner.

OK...I'm finally back to the beta. My Amex app doesn't work (probably a new API), but everything else is working like a charm!

Reactions: Outatime
Upvote 0
While I have had a pretty solid experience on N so far, my one biggest complaint is lag with the camera. And I found something that will virtually paralyze it... if you're streaming bluetooth like in your car and then go to use the camera, it's just about game over. Was able to get it unlocked without a reboot but it wasn't good.

Upvote 0
While I have had a pretty solid experience on N so far, my one biggest complaint is lag with the camera. And I found something that will virtually paralyze it... if you're streaming bluetooth like in your car and then go to use the camera, it's just about game over. Was able to get it unlocked without a reboot but it wasn't good.
What about just being BT connected i.e. Moto 360? Should I be worried if I try to flash N?

Upvote 0
What about just being BT connected i.e. Moto 360? Should I be worried if I try to flash N?

I was having problems with that too. Like if I used PixtoCam when it wasn't on WiFi it lagged down HARD. However the good news. I tested it this morning after preview 5 installed and it looks like the problem is resolved. I was streaming Bluetooth audio in my car, I turned on the camera and it was fast and responsive and I also opened PixtoCam at the same time and there was no lag. Previously I could replicate this every time so I'm hoping it is fixed.

Edit: I'd love a change log. I looked around a little and didn't see one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have been on DP5 (stock, via the beta signup, no root) for a couple of weeks now, migrating from stock MM. The phone is running very smoothly, and I have not been able to find any issues at all. Many of the apps I use have been updated to incorporate N compatibility, and even those that have not had a release targeting N seem to work without issue. MLB At Bat even works, and that was quite problematic initially under MM!

Looking forward to the final release. YMMV of course, but I have no complaints at all with DP5.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones