1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Android Netbook

Discussion in 'Computers' started by N1nja, Mar 6, 2011.

1. N1nja

N1nja Member
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    Hate it
    Hammond, La
    [​IMG]
    I realize I'm not the first person to do this, but still rather proud of myself. Once the resolution can be worked out to stay the same instead of starting nice and small then getting giant, and getting a few apps onto it that I can't see using it as my OS without.
    Anyone know how to extract the .APK off my phone to be put onto the laptop and installed in Android from there?
    That is Froyo and going to be looking into upping it to Gingerbread soon since my phone already has it too.

Advertisement

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Won't work. Android running on your netbook is compiled for x86. Your phone has an ARM processor. For apps to run on your Android netbook they have to be compiled for x86.

3. N1nja

N1nja Member
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    Hate it
    Hammond, La
    You're a tad wrong on that one, I've got most of my apps on it and running just as they do on my phone. Only problem at the moment is screen orientation but I hope to have that worked out tonight. I may be new on this forum but that doesn't mean I don't have a clue about what's going on in Android or linux.

4. mrspeedmaster

mrspeedmaster Android Expert
    None

May 16, 2010
    I don't see the point to this.

I ran Froyo 2.2 in a VM (VirtualBox) on a 13" screen. It was horrid.All the buttons were blown up; wasting real estate. No capacitive touch.

Browsing the web was like seeing the "assistive" mode for disabled people or people w/ bad eyesight. Everything was blown up.

5. N1nja

N1nja Member
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    Hate it
    Hammond, La
    Mine looks fine and only seems to blow things up and look bad when it times out to lock the screen like on a phone, so far I've gotten around this by just setting the timer really long.

6. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    I'm skeptical about running Android on a computer. I can't imagine why anyone would want to other than "just because." (Which is a perfectly legit reason IMO.) I don't see it actually being useful for anything though. It's a mobile OS. It's designed for a touch screen. A laptop/netbook doesn't have any of these things. Can you make it sort of work? I'm sure you can. Will it be as usable as an OS designed to run on a netbook/laptop? I doubt it.

7. N1nja

N1nja Member
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    Hate it
    Hammond, La
    I find that it actually runs pretty good except not having found a way to rotate between portrait and landscape yet. Can't see most games working out very well, but the kb/m navigation isn't bad at all, and with apps for tabbed browsing like Dolphin, chat clients like Trillian(which I use as the primary on my computer also) it seems to work fine other than a few little bugs.
    Also, they sell screens to retrofit most any small size laptop into a touch screen for less than a hundred bucks on ebay; but my plan is a separate usb touch monitor in my truck to use as a sort of carputer that can still be taken out and used with no problem.

8. dots

dots Android Expert
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Shelby Township, MI
    I've had android 1.6 running on my dell precision m6300 :eek: I did it for "just because" reasons and thought it was neat. Maybe ill try throwing one of the 2.1 or 2.2 builds on my cr-48 for giggles :D

9. BTK-appl3killa

BTK-appl3killa Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 2, 2011
    Texas
    that's pretty awesome lol, I had no idea u could do something like that, I wish I was as advanced as u guys :(

10. N1nja

N1nja Member
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    Hate it
    Hammond, La
    There are guides online to doing it. Hardest part was making a partition on my hdd without breaking it. Ended up sending my computer into an infinite boot loop for a little while but got it working, that right there is reason enough to not do it, but it can be installed and ran off a usb stick or sd card to avoid making any changes at all to your computer.

11. N1nja

N1nja Member
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    Hate it
    Hammond, La
    Did a little reading on Android and how it works, things like task killers are bad unless you have an app that just sucks memory(but if your'e conciously keeping one of those, you may have issues of your own) Apparently its best to just let apps and tasks run and when needed the Anddroid OS will kill off things that aren't being used.
    Got everything working as I want except a few games like Pocket Legends and Angry Birds, but I'll cross that bridge another day.

12. bender_2001

bender_2001 Lurker
    None

May 3, 2011
    i bought an acer aspire one that came with dual OS: Android 2.1 and Win 7 starter.
    so far, the android OS has been really good, i have managed to install many app's that were designed for android 1.5, 1.6 and 2.1 but can't get ones like Angry Birds because the version is 2.2 for that. still looking for how to update the OS from 2.1 to 2.2. will probably need to do a root access somehow. some apps are really great on the netbook such as the brain trainer apps. very clear display. :)