• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android newbie needs help!!!!!

scottwvu

Dec 4, 2009
So, I bought an android yesterday.........and I am lost. How lost? I have NO idea what a "widget" is. Yeah, I know.....pretty bad, huh?

So I see a tagged thread about a "user manual" for the Android, and I will definately check that out, but I am so lost, I don't even know what to ask. Anyone have any advice, or a place I can go that has something like "Android for dummies"?

I come from the Blackberry Bold, and a Palm Treo 650.

(I got my GF the HTC eris and she LOVES it). Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!!!!! :thinking: :D

Thanks for all the help!
Can anyone explain what a "widget" is? :thinking:

Sure. A "widget" is a little mini-application that runs out in your homescreen. Popular ones are a clock that shoes the time, weather widget that shows your latest weather, and a calendar widget that shows upcoming appointments. Widgets are always there and always running on a small area of the home screen, versus a full application that you start, it takes over the full screen, and then switch out of later.

Hope that helps!

--Bill

Upvote 0
android-home-screen.jpg

The clock in the above image is a widget....

--Bill

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the help!
Can anyone explain what a "widget" is? :thinking:

D@mn...if you only had some kinda program, or device...something to help you find information about something...and maybe give a listing of different examples...shoot. Maybe something you can just talk at, or type in maybe....somebody should come up with something like that. :(

:p

Sorry dude, had to do it. Welcome to the board. The "Search this forum" feature at the top right of the first thread will be your friend.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones