1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Android Newbie questions about Android Tablets

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by erenkoff, Dec 18, 2011.

1. erenkoff

erenkoff Lurker
    None

Dec 18, 2011
    I want to purchase an Android based Tablet, but I am not realy familiar with the Android OS itself (although I am computer savy). Does the Android OS have PC based software to manage, sync, backup the device? My son has an Android based Motorolla phone and it did NOT come with any software, but maybe newer versions do. I have not been able to find any information on this. Also, are there any strong feelings about whether it is better to get the Samsung 10.1, or the Motorolla Xoom or an Asus tablet? One of my priorities in a tablet has to be the ability to store PDF files on the device itself and read them. It has to be fairly easy to manage the PDF file storage, to add new files and delete unwanted files.
    Any help would be...helpful.
    :)

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Samsung has a PC based program to manage to contents of the tablet, called Kies. Although using it will not let you use the Android's cloud services (unless a roundabout path is built). Note however that there are no PC based solutions to backup app data (like a game save progress for example). Motorola does not have any PC based software for Android, but HTC, Samsung and Sony does.

For storing PDF files on the device itself and read those, its possible on all 3 tablets you mentioned. Just get the file to the tablet via cloud sync (Dropbox/Sugarsync/Minus) or connecting it to PC via Mass Storage mode (think of it as a 32GB external hard drive and you can manage the contents in a similar fashion), then opening the file via a PDF reader app.

erenkoff likes this.
  3. erenkoff

erenkoff Lurker
    None

Dec 18, 2011
    Thanks for the info...a follow-up question...
    Does the Samsung Kite allow you to back-up the device at all (apps, address book, etc)?
    Is there a backup solution for the Motorolla?

4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Yes, Kies (pronounced 'keys') does perform backups, but so does Google. Your contacts are backed up to Google servers as well as installed apps, although I don't believe either one saves states like games levels. For that you'll have to use a more advanced backup solution, which would most likely be an app that may require root privileges.

You may want to start thinking more within the mobile paradigm and not try and administer a tablet through a USB umbilical cord. Other than the odd push of a non-market app, the only reason I plug any of my devices in anymore is to charge them.

erenkoff likes this.
  5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    One thing about Kies is that if you use that to manage contacts is that it uses Samsung's "My Contacts" option in the phone, which does not sync with Google.

erenkoff likes this.
  6. erenkoff

erenkoff Lurker
    None

Dec 18, 2011
    Ok...about this feature of Google backing up my Apps and contacts. Is this done automatically or do I need to configure it myself? Except for game data (which I could care less about) will it give me the ability to completely restore my device in the event that it gets wiped out? At this point I am leaning towards the Motorolla Xoom. It has a nice display and I like the fact that it uses standard connectors and has the Memory expansion port (unlike the Samsung). Any comments on the Motorolla?

7. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    You set it up to sync apps and contacts and it does it automagically. Mind you, it only remembers the installed apps and not the data, so if you must restore them you will be back to factory settings.

erenkoff likes this.