• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android noob, with a possibly bricked phone =l

Just curious to know how much money he took from your pocket? Take a chill. I applaud the guy for using the system to his advantage. If he were a politician, we'd probably vote him into office.
So you support lying and fraud?? This schmuck is a criminal, just like the politicians in washington and its idiots like you and him is why a cell phone is $500......Whatever happened to the good old days when people actually took responsibility for their actions?? Grow up act and like real men instead of whiney children......

Upvote 0
I don't recall acting noble and high. I was just posting what happened for those who cared to know and wouldn't flame me for making a bad decision, like you never have, correct?

You didn't make a mistake, you purposely committed fraud and then had the audacity to come on this forum and boast about it. Maybe you think that is cool...it just makes you a low life.

Maybe I'm just an old guy that was raised to be honest and take responsibility for my actions. I have made plenty of mistakes in my life, I'm sure I'll make plenty more, but at least I have integrity and that is something to be proud of.

Upvote 0
go ask Sprint... They don't like when you do it. Maybe because it opens the system and let you do whatever you want with it including compromising the system, break it and then we go ask Sprint for help... among other reasons... is it fair? I think its not, but those are the rules of the game... Do I play by them? Nope

I don't care what sprint likes or dislikes. That isn't the issue.

You keep mingling the two issues of rooting and then lying about it.

Lying is wrong.

Rooting isn't.

Rooting is no different than altering a computer under warranty to make it faster or better.

Upvote 0
yes, it was a completely unethical thing to do, but I pulled it off. For those of you who asked, no, it is not possible for sprint to check if you rooted. Although, this was only my situation and my "motherboard was completely fried," if that makes sense..but they did not detect it for me, but moe was completely bricked so that could be ONE obvious reason. And for those who suggest I man up and pay, I would rather do thatthan lie, but my situation just wouldn't work out like that. Thanks for the help, I will make sure to read next time, and again, sorry.

Your situation doesnt allow it? Huh, wonder what happens when you really need something and cant afford it, maybe you will rob someone for the money or something else. You have no integrity and KARMA will come for you. Hope you are ready when it does.. I despise people like you and the others that think you did the right thing. Grow up, own up to your mistakes and deal with them. Coward

Upvote 0
Now I have a question? Would you root your phone and tell Sprint its rooted? Even of you did not tampered with any other aspect or feature or apps...?

ofcourse they wouldnt, there is a reason ppl say to do a backup and return it back to "normal" when u take it back to sprint. :rolleyes:

is this lying now...or just simply omitting the the fact it was rooted?

if something messes up with the phone and u need to take it back i bet all of you will return it back to original settings and go get it fixed. i seriously doubt u high and mighty ppl will say" well i rooted and the warranty is void, its was my choice and im taking responsibility!!!. i guess im SOL".....yeah right i doubt it.

Upvote 0
ofcourse they wouldnt, there is a reason ppl say to do a backup and return it back to "normal" when u take it back to sprint. :rolleyes:

is this lying now...or just simply omitting the the fact it was rooted?

if something messes up with the phone and u need to take it back i bet all of you will return it back to original settings and go get it fixed. i seriously doubt u high and mighty ppl will say" well i rooted and the warranty is void, its was my choice and im taking responsibility!!!. i guess im SOL".....yeah right i doubt it.

Hmmm... well let me say this in the best way possible.

After doing much research I went to Sprint and updated MY PHONE. When I updated MY PHONE I bought the HTC Hero.

I am not leasing MY PHONE. Nor am I renting MY PHONE. I purchased MY PHONE.

Because it is MY PHONE I can do many things with it. I can loan out MY PHONE. Or, for that matter, I can even rent out MY PHONE.

I can add apps to MY PHONE and I can delete apps from MY PHONE.

After months of usage and reading, researching, re-reading, re-researching I decided that MY PHONE wasn't quite operating at the fullest potential.

Now then, since it is MY PHONE I decided to root MY PHONE. After rooting MY PHONE I put the Fresh 1.1 rom on MY PHONE. After that I put the Gumbo Kernel on MY PHONE. And then after that I put SetCPU on MY PHONE.

I don't like MY PHONE anymore. I LOVE MY PHONE now.

I haven't had an issue with MY PHONE after rooting, etc.

Now then. And please pay attention because this is the important part.

If MY PHONE goes on the fritz, then I need to research the reason that MY PHONE is acting up.

Is it a "rooted" problem, or is it a "stock" problem.

I have read about many people having some issues with "rooted" phones and going to the devs about it. The devs have worked hard and got the problems figured out and solved.

To this date: I do not know of anyone that PROPERLY rooted their phone and had to return the phone because it wasn't working right.

There may be some out there.. but after extensive reading / researching, I haven't read any.

SO therefore, I can unequivocally say at this point:

That if MY PHONE goes on the fritz and it is a "root" problem I won't take it to Sprint. I will go to the devs' boards and get it figured out.

However, if MY PHONE goes on the fritz because of the stock problem, I will take it back to Sprint after returning it back to stock condition.

I can't speak for others, but if they ask me if I have rooted MY PHONE I will be honest and tell them.

But in the meantime.. I will operate MY PHONE the way I want to operate MY PHONE.

Upvote 0

After doing much research I went to Sprint and updated MY PHONE. When I updated MY PHONE I bought the HTC Hero.

Because it is MY PHONE I can do many things with it. I can loan out MY PHONE. Or, for that matter, I can even rent out MY PHONE.

After months of usage and reading, researching, re-reading, re-researching I decided that MY PHONE wasn't quite operating at the fullest potential.

Now then, since it is MY PHONE I decided to root MY PHONE. After rooting MY PHONE I put the Fresh 1.1 rom on MY PHONE. After that I put the Gumbo Kernel on MY PHONE. And then after that I put SetCPU on MY PHONE.

If MY PHONE goes on the fritz, then I need to research the reason that MY PHONE is acting up.

I have read about many people having some issues with "rooted" phones and going to the devs about it. The devs have worked hard and got the problems figured out and solved.

To this date: I do not know of anyone that PROPERLY rooted their phone and had to return the phone because it wasn't working right.

There may be some out there.. but after extensive reading / researching, I haven't read any.

That if MY PHONE goes on the fritz and it is a "root" problem I won't take it to Sprint. I will go to the devs' boards and get it figured out.

However, if MY PHONE goes on the fritz because of the stock problem, I will take it back to Sprint after returning it back to stock condition.

I can't speak for others, but if they ask me if I have rooted MY PHONE I will be honest and tell them.

But in the meantime.. I will operate MY PHONE the way I want to operate MY PHONE.

Well said!!!!

Upvote 0

thus making your warranty no good!..thank you for making my point!!!
you will return it back to original settings...wait but you just said its YOUR and YOU can do what ever you want with YOUR phone...why return it back to stock??????????? cuz u know they wont even look at it if it was rooted, plus they will almost never ask if its rooted anyway so u made my second point. if they dont ask you not gonna tell them. a little dont ask dont tell for phones

thanks for the example scenerio and proving my point!

Upvote 0
you will return it back to original settings...wait but you just said its YOUR and YOU can do what ever you want with YOUR phone...why return it back to stock??????????? cuz u know they wont even look at it if it was rooted, plus they will almost never ask if its rooted anyway so u made my second point. if they dont ask you not gonna tell them. a little dont ask dont tell for phones

You need to cut your meds in half.

If it is an issue with the Hero because of STOCK PROGRAMS or STOCK ISSUES.. then it is a STOCK issue.

Not a root issue.

Rooting would have nothing to do with it.

So therefore, rooting, would be

IRRELEVANT

Upvote 0

I was going to say the exact same thing. Danokan just made a fool out of himself with his long, hypocritical post. Rooting the phone voids Sprint's warranty. Therefore, if you root your phone and then take it back to Sprint to get replaced for ANY reason, you're being just as dishonest as radxcoresteven.

Upvote 0
Ok...imagine a scenario in which putting a performance air cleaner kit on your car would void your warranty. 2 weeks later, your power windows stop working. It isn't related to the modification you made on the engine, so it isn't really fair for the car manufacturer to void your warranty.

Now imagine the same scenario, only instead of it being your windows that stopped working, your engine blew up because of the modification made to it. That is your mistake, you knowingly made a change to the car that resulted in the engine blowing up. Is it ok to take off the air cleaner kit in this scenario and make the manufacturer replace the engine? That is an act of fraud. You are misleading the manufacturer for monetary benefit.

This guy bricked his phone doing something that was beyond his reading comprehension...and the result will be higher prices for consumers that have the ability to read. I know there are those out there who prefer a world with no personal responsibility, but I prefer one in which our decisions and actions have consequences.

Upvote 0
The difference is that he said if the problem was a stock issue he would take it to sprint. The OP bricked it by rooting and flashing the wrong ROM. That is intentional damage. You are right on the point if Sprint asks and he says he rooted they will deny the claim.

The arguement started talking about lying to Sprint. Dano clearly said he would. But if the asked he would tell them...like I said....they wont ask. So if heos so honest...take itrooted and man up....yeah I doubt it to!

Upvote 0
Ok...imagine a scenario in which putting a performance air cleaner kit on your car would void your warranty. 2 weeks later, your power windows stop working. It isn't related to the modification you made on the engine, so it isn't really fair for the car manufacturer to void your warranty.

Now imagine the same scenario, only instead of it being your windows that stopped working, your engine blew up because of the modification made to it. That is your mistake, you knowingly made a change to the car that resulted in the engine blowing up. Is it ok to take off the air cleaner kit in this scenario and make the manufacturer replace the engine? That is an act of fraud. You are misleading the manufacturer for monetary benefit.

This guy bricked his phone doing something that was beyond his reading comprehension...and the result will be higher prices for consumers that have the ability to read. I know there are those out there who prefer a world with no personal responsibility, but I prefer one in which our decisions and actions have consequences.

We're not talking about what you and I may consider to be "fair" here. We're talking about what, according to a few posters here, is "ethically" right. Whether rooting the phone caused the issue is a moot point. Rooting the phone voids the warranty, so if you try to take back a rooted phone to Sprint, even if rooting it had nothing to do with the problem it has, you're being dishonest.

When you root the phone, you know it voids the warranty. So by rooting, you're essentially saying, "I'm rooting my phone, but by doing so I know that if anything ever happens to this phone, I do not have the right to return it to Sprint because I have no more warranty." So your "decision" to root the phone carries the "consequence" that, if anything happens to the phone (yes, that means ANYTHING), you have no warranty to help you. End of discussion.

I have a Toyota Prius. I know there are several mods I can make that will give my car better gas mileage, but I know that these mods void the warranty, so I choose not to do the mods. I understand that if I mod my engine, and if something happens to the car, even if it's completely unrelated to the mod, Toyota will tell me that I have no warranty and that they cannot help me.

Anybody trying to take Danokan's side in this argument is fighting a losing battle. What he posted was hypocritical, and there's no way around it.

Upvote 0
Ummmm

Setting it back to stock

Would mean it isn't rooted anymore.

Mmmmmmmmmm tasty.

hey think whatever makes u feel better..i could care less if u void your warranty or not......i was just proving a point to u ppl who think your better than the OP. it doesnt change the fact that i was right and you would still lie about your phone. pretty much putting you in the same boat as the OP

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones