1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Android not able to download when connected to Wifi

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Lloydaku, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Lloydaku

Lloydaku Lurker
    None

Apr 6, 2016
    Male
    Hello,

I have had this problem for a good amount of time now, and I have contacted my ISP and went over all their useless troubleshooting tips and advice. Pretty much wasted a good junk of my life restarting a modem and unplugging cables, only to end up being told there must be something wrong with the modem, and when a brand new modem comes I have the same issue. Enough ranting.

So here the issue I am having, I own a Samsung Galaxy S7 and a Note 5. I am able to download application like Netflix, Facebook, Etc, while I am not connected to WiFi; however, the moment I connect to WiFi, Everything seems to stop. Netflix wont load, Facebook wont update, and I cant even access webpages. I have even uninstalled Netflix and tried to re-download it while connected to WiFi and get a timeout error.

I have tested the WiFi with other devices as it works fine, Ipad, and multiple laptops. This issue only seems to be occurring with Android devices. I have gone as far as disabling my Ubee fire wall and all security and still nothing.

My ISP is Time Warner,
    Modem is Ubee.

Please help a fellow Android user out!

Advertisement

2. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Are you able to connect to WiFi networks normally with your S7 and Note 5 elsewhere, or is this solely a problem when you're at home?
    If it's just at home I wouldn't think it's your Ubee modem/router specifically since you're other devices are able to use your WiFi and especially since you mentioned just upgraded it trying to diagnose things (just did a search for Ubee and they're pretty up to date using DOCSIS 3.x boxes). In one of your phones, looking in your Settings >> Connections >> WiFi if you check whatever SSID network you've set up is the 'Status' showing 'Connected' and 'IP address' showing a valid IP address? Also, what versions of Android are your S7 and Note 5 running?

3. Dannydet

Dannydet Android Expert

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Graphics Manager / Sales
    USA
    Are you signing in correctly? Is your wifi showing up in your network?

4. Lloydaku

Lloydaku Lurker
    None

Apr 6, 2016
    Male
    Thanks you both for the replies.

Svim, both devices are running android lollipop. I have used my phones on my neighbor WiFi without any issues although his ISP is Verizon. I've also checked my WiFi setting, on both my devices, which are both correlating to the correct IP for both devices with Connection status. I can also perform a speed test using ookla Speediest app, and my speeds all check out.

Dannydet, WiFi shows ups just fine able to sign in without an issue.

5. Parayilhussain

Parayilhussain Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 26, 2015
    Male
    Business
    Cochin
    Hi,some Android devices will not connect to WIFI where there is more devices are connected to the same WIFI. also check any WIFI app ( if installed) preventing to do so in it's settings.

6. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    So that narrows things done a little. Since you mentioned things are OK with a cellular connection but it's just your home WiFi try this.
    -- Double-check Mobile data is disabled and just WiFi enabled, start up whichever browser you use and type in: 172.217.2.78 That should bring up a typical Google.com page (it's just the numeric IP address, sans DNS). If that works but entering google.com doesn't than maybe we can assume there's a DNS issue. This could be fixed either in your Ubee modem/router or individually in your phones.
    -- If the above still results your same WiFi problems, try setting up a Guest Network in your router settings. Don't enable any security (i.e. WPA2) just as a temporary test. Connect one of your phones to this Guest Network and test if your online connectivity is working normally. If it's OK than there's some issue we need to look into as far as the WiFi security authentication settings, either with Lollipop or your router settings.

Dannydet likes this.