• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android on a wonky touchscreen PC? Geeks, help!

Hey folks. This is my first post, but I've been lurking for a little while and managed to root my HTC Incredible thanks to all the great advice here!

I have what will probably be a weird question.

I run Linux Mint of one flavor or another on all my PC's. I have a touchscreen netbook that I want to run a dual boot on with Android as the other OS.

Problem.

This particular netbook of mine is, by ultra-portable PC standards, ancient. Because it's ancient, it has a very "unique" configuration for the touch screen.

I have a Fujitsu P1610 (the site won't let me link it...). I call it a netbook, but really it's the father of the netbook. In 2006, packing all that function into that form factor was not the done thing, so they wound up porting the touch screen in a weird sort of way. It's hooked up to a serial port instead of a USB port.

I've never gotten it to work in Linux (currently Mint 9 LXDE). Apparently there are ways, but they're buggy and outdated I just never bothered putting a ton of effort into it. Touch worked in Windows XP Tablet of course, but... it's Windows. And really, Windows Tablet circa 2006 can't hold a candle to modern tablet OS's (which is probably why I didn't care that much that it didn't work).

Now I'm going to gut and update the specs, and I'd really love to be able to get Android running on the touch screen so I could use it a bit like an oversized tablet. But I fear the P1610's weird configuration and, obviously, the lack of support in 2011 is going to be an issue.

In addition to that, I really have no idea what to expect installing Android as a second OS. Is it fairly similar to more traditional versions of Linux (select partition size, etc)? What version would I even use? Am I just spouting crazy-talk?

Advice?

I dont have much experience with what you describe but want to welcome you to AF and bump your thread -- sounds like an interesting problem.

You may want to ask a bit in the custom ROM section too:
Custom ROMs - Android Forums

(As an aside: It's OK to cross post with something like this but if you get people replying in both places just link them to the other threads so they can see what has been suggested)

hope that helps and welcome to AF :)

Upvote 0
I dont know if this helps .There are guys porting android to x86
I have tested the live donut version on VM and it works hitchingly .
I think they have Gingerbread for x86 too
If you do have a unique hardware ,there are bound to be problems never the less .
From what I know ,your touch screen may not work .

You need to install it the with cfdisk and stuff .

Android-x86 - Porting Android to x86

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones