1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Android on order

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Ted Roo, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Ted Roo

Ted Roo Newbie

Hiya forum members from North of Indy!

I'm an old IT guy, network engineer/admin for a long time. I don't like to be always connected to the world, so I've not worried about my phone for a long time. I even turned off sms. I pretty much get all the e-mail and phone calls I need at work and have trouble working on assigned projects. I have about 10 Linux and Windows servers, 100 PCs, 20 laptops and 50 users to keep me busy. Small IT department, so I wear many hats. We are a state department at Purdue University and do licensing and regulation of pesticides, fertilizer, feeds and seeds. Many lab computers and instrumentation, which I have worked with since 1988, with the last six years at the university.

In my spare time, I like to play with metal working in my shop, dirt bikes, and 4 wheel drives.

I know I would love an Android, as I love tinkering with Linux, simple games, and hacking stuff to make it work (white hat only).

My wife's another matter, she wants the bling. She just wants a big touch screen and modern looking phone. Once she starts using it and I install the Chikka app for texting to her family in the Philippines, I'm sure she'll drop the old slow Fedora'd netbook in a heartbeat. We've been on Virgin forever. So, I've been keeping an eye peeled for a deal, and now that the HTC Evo V 4G's are $150, and the buttons are worn out on my phone, I've ordered a pair for us!

I'm sure I'll root mine soon after I find my way around it and it's pre-installed programs. I've already been reading up in the forum on all things root. I like to be in control of a device and not it me. I am confident the new phone will solve all of life's problems :D:smokingsomb::D

So now I'm shopping for cases and stuff, in anticipation of the arrival of our new phones.

Looks like we have a great, helpful and friendly forum here! I'm looking forward to our adventures together.

Cheers,

jon

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator

Welcome to the forums Jon! Glad to hear about all your experience with Computers, really cool!

Hopefully we can help you with any issues you may have with your device.

Feel free to check out your device forum here: HTC EVO V 4G - Android Forums

Thanks for joining :D

3. Ted Roo

Ted Roo Newbie

Thanks DC!

4. eyebeam

eyebeam Extreme Android User

Hello and welcome, Ted. :hello: Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself.

It's great to hear that you've already found AF to be helpful & friendly! Hopefully as a member, you'll enjoy it even more.

It looks like DC above me there has you pointed in the right direction for starters, and I'm sure the good folks in the Evo V 4G section can help you and your wife get the most out of your new phones. Of course there's much more here at AF, so take a look around at your leisure, and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask. We'd be happy to help. :)

Happy posting! :)

- eyebeam