• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android OS eating all my battery

My phone has been in Airplane mode the entire time I've had it (My wife sent it to me in Afghanistan in anticipation of me coming home.

Anyway, it was working fine until a few days ago. I plugged in an sd card then shortly thereafter took it out.

Now, with ZERO usage it will be dead from 100% to 0% in less than 12 hours.

Is there a fix? I have no idea why this is happening, I've disabled pretty much everything.

Upvote 0
So I bought this phone a couple weeks ago and my phone was dying after 8/9 hours of not so heavy usage with the Android OS killing the battery. My problem seems to have been resolved after the following 2 actions ... not sure which did the trick but did a complete wipe and re-install, but the silver bullet I think was the disablement of USB Debugging and Allow mock locations ... can do this by going to main screen, go into Settings, Applications, Development and disable those 2.

My batter is 8h 35m now and the Display % is 28%, OS 22%, voice calls 21%, Android system 13% and cell standby 6%

the battery level is now 69%.

Good luck all ... the phone has not been tampered with at all and is still at factory settings.

Confirm your results. I think we got it :)

Reactions: BenChase7
Upvote 0
Update: I posted on the 6th of October, so now that some time has passed, I thought I'd update my post. I have not seen the battery drain since my last post. At that time, I had done the factory reset and also formatted my Samsung 8GB microSD card. I have not put any programs back on the SD card, with the only thing being on their is music and ringtones. I read somewhere on xda developers that someone suspected the SD card. I'm nowhere near having any storage space issues, so I'm not about to move programs back on to the card at this point. My battery is incredible compared to my previous EVO, and I can see this phone keeping me happy for my 2 years of contract. For those having issues, give the format of the SD card a try, and leave programs off of it and see if it helps. Update us here either way!

Upvote 0
I fixed my battery life by changing from use of Exchange AS sync for email, contacts and calendar to Gmail. My story follows...

I bought two Epic 4G Touch phones the same day - one for me and one for my wife who I finally convinced to punt her Blackberry. My phone barely made it one day on battery and hers was going two days plus! I had loads of apps on mine and used Exchange AS on my Google Apps (business) email server. She had few apps and only Gmail. I started to do the ccomparisons and noticed that Android OS was showing 75% of the battery consumption on mine and hers was 17%. Since the native diagnostics to figure out what is causing the high consumption simply suck, on a hunch, I deleted my Exchange AS sync email and used the native Gmail. Magically, my battery now matched hers.

Having read every post on the planet about this issue to try to save my Epic 4G Touch from return to Sprint, I am sure there will be people who will say that this is coincidental, so to prove it to myself, I turned Exchange AS back on and my battery was sucked down fast again. I then switched back to Gmail and it lasted. Since three times is a charm, I did it again and saw the same results. If you can replicate it, then it must be the cause!

This approach worked for me because I host my email at Google. I can thus use Exchange AS to hit my mail or the Gmail app. I feel sorry for people who do not have the option and are married to Exchange AS as their sync technology.

Upvote 0
The key is to NOT use the EMAIL application on the device as it seems to result in high battery consumption. The stock version of the phone software comes with both an EMAIL app and a Gmail app. It is the app called EMAIL that seems to result in high battery drain. I have not tested with Yahoo! but if you are using the native EMAIL app to connect to Yahoo! mail, it may have the same impact on your battery. Myt suggestion is to delete your Yahoo! email from the EMAIL app and go to Market and download the Yahoo! Mail app. Set up the Yahoo! Mail app using your account credentials and see how it goes. Just remember to delete your account from the natiive EMAIL app. That is all I can suggest and even with that there are no guarantees. Worst case, you spend 3 mins switching back. Best case, your phone will work past noon! Mine got moderate use yesterday and I went to bed with the phone at 33% after 18 hours off charge. That is as good as I can expect!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones