• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Android OS is still consuming large amounts of Data

I did some google research first but Android OS still consumes large amounts of data.

It consumes data even when I restrict background data, and I have AFWall+ Installed which works wonderfully in killing off data usage from every other app.

I only get a 100MB a month so everything I use is precious but even if I turn it for just a few minutes twice a day it still consumes a fair bit of data. Every day it consumes a MB and if I use textbrowser I could go to several dozen sites before hitting a MB.

I've done research but I still don't know if there is any other way I can restrict it from consuming more of my data and I'd love some advise.

What are your Play Store update settings?

You can set your phone to only update apps over WiFi which will reduce your data usage. Here is how to change the Play Store settings for how apps are updated:

1. Open the Play Store.
2. In the top left corner tap the menu icon.
3. Tap Settings.
4. Tap Auto Update Apps.
5. Tap the option you want. The WiFi option will only use WiFi. "Update apps anytime" can use your mobile data. "Do not auto update apps" will not update any apps.

Upvote 0
What are your Play Store update settings?
Already have it set to not auto-update.

NoRoot firewall may help?
I'll give it a shot, is it better than AFWall+?

Hate to call it, but 100MB is a pretty lousy data allotment for a smart phone lol....
You're not going to be able to shut google up completely, even with restricting background data. One way to help ease up is disabling the google app in the system settings, but if you do that, you're gonna get play services errors on some apps.
100MB is pretty bad but I do only pay $10 a month for it and it's the best you can get for a prepaid plan in Canada.

I have considered getting Google Fi which is $20 American but can give a GB but you have to have an American address for that.

Which Google app should I disable though? It's the Android OS which consumes Data and I already disabled the app just called Google as it was just an instant search engine.

I'm OK with system errors as whenever I want those apps to work again I can just turn data off and undisable the app that was causing problems.

Upvote 0
I tried everything! The ONLY resolution is to remove your google account from the phone when not in use.

I tried installing a firewall and blocking androidOS but this failed to reduce data use. I tried blocking google account or play services which also failed. It is clear that google has tied root level processes into their own applications (such as photos, mail, etc) so there is no way to block data use. The only option is to remove the google account when not in use and re-add it when you need to update apps via google play. As a side benifit google will also no longer track you when you use gmail or their apps in the browser. YAY!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones