• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

android OS security issues

TopherG

Jun 2, 2010
Im a little worried that all the apps I'm downloading from the marketplace have access to so much personal info. I've done searches and no one seems to be talking about apps accessing contact, personal info, phone calls, location, internet history. I'm used to checking my bank acct. on the go and with android I'm afraid to do so. Is there a real security threat using android? From what I understand there is no real screening of apps in the marketplace.... google is relying on users to flag apps? :eek: This worries me.

I'm paranoid myself about downloading applications but here's a thread that might help:

http://androidforums.com/android-ap...ps-avoid-viruses-guide-those-new-android.html

:)

thanks for the link, it did help! It help me realized that its my own fault if I download an app that is malicious not googles for having it in the marketplace. Wow, this is going to be a deal breaker for me. After reading that it makes me not want to download anything from the marketplace... I would think google would do a little more to protect us:thinking:

Upvote 0
I just wish that when you attempt to download the app and it lists all that stuff that application will have access to you could uncheck certain things to control the app. For that reason I don't download some apps that look cool, just because of what it says it will access (phone identity is a big one for me - assume it doesn't mean just ESN but phone number too)

Upvote 0
That's the tradeoff to have an open market like Android is.

You can have an open network with no policing and more options for apps, or you can have a closed network like apple and end up with less options. It's all in what you want!

I think I would go with closed over having my identity stolen by a malicious app or have my phone number and all my contacts numbers and emails sent to a 3rd party...

Upvote 0
I just wish that when you attempt to download the app and it lists all that stuff that application will have access to you could uncheck certain things to control the app. For that reason I don't download some apps that look cool, just because of what it says it will access (phone identity is a big one for me - assume it doesn't mean just ESN but phone number too)

I too wish we could uncheck and have more control over the apps we download. I downloaded a keyboard app last night and all I can think about is if its stealing my passwords and logins....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones