1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Android OS Source/Download

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by RawrDinosaur, Apr 27, 2012.

1. RawrDinosaur

RawrDinosaur Lurker

Hi All - I've searched google, android and HTC support etc etc. and for the life of me I cannot find where to download android, I was hoping someone could direct me.

Essentially my HTX Sensation XL is ****ed - I want to simply reinstall Android 2.3.5 and be on my way but I just can't get the download it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

HTC's software is more than just the Android code, there's their own (proprietary) HTC Sense framework baked in, so I don't think you'll find the source for that. I think what you probably want is what they call a ROM Upgrade Utility (RUU), which is a program that will reflash your phone's software with a clean copy. Do note that these things also wipe the phone clean, so if you can get into it to back anything up then do so.

I believe that the Sensation XL's codename is Runnymede, in which case there are a couple of RUU's available here: Shipped ROMs. Provided that your phone is one of those 2 models this should work. If it's a network variant, or from a different region, the program will refuse to run (it will tell you that the "CID" or "Customer ID" check was failed). In that case there is a trick on other HTC devices called making your SD card into a "Goldcard", which bypasses that check, but I don't know for sure whether this applies to the Sensation XL.

I would generally recommend visiting the device forum for advice: HTC Sensation XL - Android Forums. However, it's pretty quiet over there, so I won't move this thread.

Good luck!

jerofld likes this.