1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Android OS Source/Download

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by RawrDinosaur, Apr 27, 2012.

1. RawrDinosaur

RawrDinosaur Lurker
    None

Jan 24, 2012
    Hi All - I've searched google, android and HTC support etc etc. and for the life of me I cannot find where to download android, I was hoping someone could direct me.

Essentially my HTX Sensation XL is ****ed - I want to simply reinstall Android 2.3.5 and be on my way but I just can't get the download it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    HTC's software is more than just the Android code, there's their own (proprietary) HTC Sense framework baked in, so I don't think you'll find the source for that. I think what you probably want is what they call a ROM Upgrade Utility (RUU), which is a program that will reflash your phone's software with a clean copy. Do note that these things also wipe the phone clean, so if you can get into it to back anything up then do so.

I believe that the Sensation XL's codename is Runnymede, in which case there are a couple of RUU's available here: Shipped ROMs. Provided that your phone is one of those 2 models this should work. If it's a network variant, or from a different region, the program will refuse to run (it will tell you that the "CID" or "Customer ID" check was failed). In that case there is a trick on other HTC devices called making your SD card into a "Goldcard", which bypasses that check, but I don't know for sure whether this applies to the Sensation XL.

I would generally recommend visiting the device forum for advice: HTC Sensation XL - Android Forums. However, it's pretty quiet over there, so I won't move this thread.

Good luck!

jerofld likes this.