• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android OS & suspend process eating my battery

Charlie, I too am still getting this, but for whatever reason, it's less frequently now. I see it maybe once a week or less. It's very inconsistent and no pattern seems to fit. One day I'll have great battery life, and the next day it's like a boat with a hole in the hull. Go figure. ICS can't come soon enough. If the Moto Site is to be believed, we shud see it before the end of the month. Let's hope so.

Upvote 0
Ironically, I encountered the suspend process today at an alarmingly high rate of 65%. Ridiculous.

So here's another rumored date for us to get ICS. :rolleyes: I think if anyone is willing to buy this story, I have one for sale about a pink elephant talking to a unicorn in my parking lot I can sell you.

Seriously though, If VZW says June 12 is the rollout, I am betting it would be the soak test date, with the full rollout several days later. They won't push this w/o a soak and in all my previous soak testing for them, they give it about a week to "soak" in for testers before sending it to the masses.

Upvote 0
May have found something. Testing now and will report back later.

Nope. False alarm. I found a posting somewhere that said turning off wifi and then rebooting helped. Also, turning of all location services helped. This seemed to fix it for a while (no suspend process using high cpu) but after a while it came back.. Since this is a known kernel bug, we can only home the new kernel in ICS will fix it.

Upvote 0
Hey, just found this thread.. I am owning a droid RAZR, not the MAXX.. but I had similar issues with Android OS taking a lot of battery usage. I still do and not saying I fixed it. I am guessing it really is a kernel based problem. However, if you go in Settings -> Wireless and networks -> Wi-Fi Settings and press menu there to go in Advanced settings, change the WiFi sleep policy to When screen goes off or to Never if plugged (sorry translated from French), reboot and have it a go. I had better battery time since I started doing this. And it doesn't seem to matter if your wi-fi is on or off... Also maybe look if you have Google Latitude enabled.. I re-enabled it lately and I believe my consumption is a bit higher since then, even if I tell it to update my location manually.. Hope this helps and I can't wait either the ICS Upgrade! You know, even if you get 12-15 hours a day of battery, it kinda annoys you to see Android OS taking 35% to 50% usage of your battery lol.

Upvote 0
I had this issue, excessive battery drainage from a week ago on my Sony Live with Walkman. I charged the battery the whole night and it was dead on the afternoon. At the battery discharge screen always the top consumer was Android SO, which I didn't remember seeing before. I tried everything I found on forums the battery calibration procedures, removing all syncing apps, turning off the 3g, wifi and bluetooth, and the battery was still draining fast, brightness reduction to minimum.

The last thing I wanted to do was a factory reset, but it was what solved it for me... I mad a backup of everything, musics, photos, contacts, and with the reset I selected to clean SD as well. I'll try to send the screenshot of the battery drain, and you can see there's no consumption of Android SO (the icon was like two gears connected with a belt.) Sorry the screen is in portuguese, but I'm sure you can relate with the icons.
Maybe there was an specific app messing with the phone.

Now started the night with near 60% with wifi and BT on, and near 11:00AM still have 40%.

If you think battery is draining fast and top consumer is android so, consider doing a factory reset. Worked for me...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-10-27-10-53-04.png
    Screenshot_2012-10-27-10-53-04.png
    92.1 KB · Views: 45
Upvote 0
I think the bug is still there in ICS, I can manually put DRM into sleep mode with 100% charge and a fresh reboot and 13 hours later it downs to 70% battery life. If I turn it off completely, the battery remains at 100%. I have had the same results if I did a full reset without installing any custom apps. App installation doesn't seem to make a difference.

I have all syncing turned off except for weather every 3 hours. If I leave the phone on in a good 4g location, my battery drain is still about 70% after 13 hours of just sitting idle. I have used better battery but don't really know what I am looking at, and if I did find something how to do anything about it with being non-rooted. I could root, but not sure which rom to go with, and frankly I am happy with the stock rom.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones