• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android OS upgrade for LG Eve !!!!

Hi this is answer on my e-mail from LG Canada regarding to android upgrade
(recieved from LG 14th of August 2010)

[FONT=&quot]Hello michal, thank you for contacting LG Customer service.

On behalf of LG Canada, thank you for your inquiries regarding the LG Eve. LG Canada has been working to release the Android 1.6 OS upgrade for the LG Eve, which is now expected to be delivered to Rogers for testing in early September, 2010 due to internal delays. Once certified by Rogers, the upgrade will be made available for download from the LG website and will require a PC sync. We appreciate your patience and thank you again for your inquiries.

LG remains committed to investing in the Android platform and will have some exciting innovations for you this year. However, a 2.1 OS upgrade for the LG Eve will not be made available as the device cannot adequately support the features associated with it.

Regards
LG Customer Service
LG Canada

[/FONT]

Upvote 0
That is interesting...I work for Rogers and have spoken to quite a few people regarding the 1.6 for the eve...I keep hearing it's not coming however with this bit of news I hope I am wrong...I have several phones...LG eve, Iphone, Crack berry and a few others and think the Android O.S is the most promising...My only regret is getting the eve...No support is a real bummer...Look at the HTC's...everybody under the sun has upgraded their phones...and the LG owners are left holding the bag...Still not sure what to buy next for an Android phone...I find it hard to find one that really rocks...I will cross my fingers for the Eve...if not going to sell it for sure...If anyone hears anything please keep us updated and I will do the same...Cheers..

Andy

Upvote 0
I want to know your thoughts of the LG GW620 (Eve) because I think this phone looks really cool and I want to buy it, the specs are good it's just I'm quite annoyed by the fact that there is no android upgrade(any upgrade would do for me, 1.6, 2.0 .etc) I was also thinking about the HTC Touch2 (don't get it mixed up with HTC Touch 2 pro) and the LG GT540. Which do you think I should get?

Upvote 0
There are three reasons to buy the LG Eve. Keyboard, keyboard, keyboard.

That's it.

The OS feels clunky, the touch buttons for home and back are too sensitive, the battery life is terrible, and it still crashes, and hangs, even after the official update.

LG has been promising 1.6 for well over 6 months, with no sign of it.

There is no way I can recommend this phone to anyone. In fact I would recommend against ANY LG android phone unless you are happy with an outdated OS and almost zero bugfix support.

Reactions: drowned.rat
Upvote 0
I was reinstalling the updater on my new laptop and was having troubles... so I dashed off a note to LG asking what the problem was. The answer was:

"Unfortunately the current software does not support Windows 7 and as such you cannot update the phone from your PC."

...er no Windows 7? :eek: Keep up with the times LG! I too am losing my enthusiasm for my Eve.

The OS feels clunky, the touch buttons for home and back are too sensitive, the battery life is terrible, and it still crashes, and hangs, even after the official update.
I've fixed the battery problems by installing a system killer and can go for many days without having to charge (I don't use data and bluetooth or wifi only occasionally). I'm used to the home buttons and rarely mis-cue. I've had to pull the battery maybe 3 times over the past 5 months. It works fine for me for what I want at this point in time but I will be looking at another manufacturer for my next Android.

I'm afraid to expose myself to the new ones 'cause I'll want one but can't afford one at this time. I've got an HTC Touch that I'm thinking of rooting for fun and would like to try the Eve but I'd hate to brick it at this point.

Upvote 0
@ Cmiller82
I dont really mind no update for the phone and also the eve that I want to get has a warranty so any bugs then I'm sending it back for a replacement and if I'm lucky a refund
I just want a phone which is good at texting, keyboard and is good for social networking, SNS/ that bar which comes down to show you Facebook status . Is it good for those reasons

@Amazon Annie
How long does the battery life go for in days/ hours and also system killer is from the android market or what?

Upvote 0
There are three reasons to buy the LG Eve. Keyboard, keyboard, keyboard.

That's it.

LG has been promising 1.6 for well over 6 months, with no sign of it.

There is no way I can recommend this phone to anyone. In fact I would recommend against ANY LG android phone unless you are happy with an outdated OS and almost zero bugfix support.

I agree !!! I gave up on LG and got a Acer Liquid. LG has done nothing but lie about this release. Every time I call they have NO updates about this phone. I'm never getting another phone from LG !!

Upvote 0
I want to know your thoughts of the LG GW620 (Eve) because I think this phone looks really cool and I want to buy it, the specs are good it's just I'm quite annoyed by the fact that there is no android upgrade(any upgrade would do for me, 1.6, 2.0 .etc) I was also thinking about the HTC Touch2 (don't get it mixed up with HTC Touch 2 pro) and the LG GT540. Which do you think I should get?

If I were you I would stay aware from the EVE, you're better off with an HTC since there are more likely to update the firmware.

Upvote 0
@Amazon Annie
How long does the battery life go for in days/ hours and also system killer is from the android market or what?

I have gone for a week without charging (but little use) but often recharge every 3 or 4 days just 'cause I should. Again, I'm not using data and use "System Panel Lite" to kill all the apps.

It depends on use - if I'm out geocaching and using my phone as a database then it could drop faster. I tried a few other app killers but this one seemed to fit my needs and it's *free* :)

Upvote 0
@ Amazon Annie
Thanks for the quick reply! You have just made me make my decision, I'm going to get the Eve because battery life like that is great for any phone let alone for a smartphone http://androidforums.com/images/icons/droids/happy.gif
My phone at the moment is a Ku990 and it has the worst battery!

Just remember though - I don't use data and don't turn on wifi or bluetooth unless I need it. It's mostly a calendar and database with the bonus of a phone. What I like most is the full keyboard. I don't know that I would jump on the Eve bandwagon though - as they are not going to upgrade beyond 1.6 so many apps will not be available.

I went through the same thing with my iTouch - I have ver. 1 and can't get a case for it or get the new apps as it's dated and won't be upgraded...ever.

Sometimes it doesn't pay to be 'cutting edge'. For the money I'd go with a Samsung "S" or whatever flavour is out there now that will be updated beyond 2. I got the Eve 'cause I got it second hand on Kijiji so the price was right.
~Anne

Upvote 0
Don't worry Mark, as soon, or I should say "If", the update ever come out the next minute there will probably be 5 thread about it.

It is not the kind of stuff users will forget to post about. lol

highlight if ... i just fought for 3 days with rogers about this phone and i continuously pointed out the fact that one of the rogers people pointed out to me that rogers was no longer going to push a update out for this phone ... none of the other customer service reps 5 i think corrected me neither did the 3 managers i spoke to i even got as far as the president
and he didnt correct the statement about being told that there was nolonger a update... so sorry to say if ur with rogers i do not think ur going to ever see the update

Upvote 0
highlight if ... i just fought for 3 days with rogers about this phone and i continuously pointed out the fact that one of the rogers people pointed out to me that rogers was no longer going to push a update out for this phone ... none of the other customer service reps 5 i think corrected me neither did the 3 managers i spoke to i even got as far as the president
and he didnt correct the statement about being told that there was nolonger a update... so sorry to say if ur with rogers i do not think ur going to ever see the update

They really don't know... It's not their fault, they are not told all the details about software updates for all phones, the Eve understandably is not a "big" thing right now, they are really too busy answering questions about iphones right now to actually do anything else.

My friend who works there (we all have that friend who works somewhere...) says there is no news about software updates ever through customer service, and if there is any, it's after the fact.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones