• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android over new Iphone

What are the reasons to get an Android over the new iPhone 4? I just got a Backflip...not very happy with it, but hear a lot of people arent. From what I understand its not a full fledged Android phone as AT&T has it very locked down and on a older version of Android.

What are the main advantages over iPhone if I get a good Android phone?

What are the reasons to get an Android over the new iPhone 4? I just got a Backflip...not very happy with it, but hear a lot of people arent. From what I understand its not a full fledged Android phone as AT&T has it very locked down and on a older version of Android.

Everything Android has to offer is about choice and the iPhone is all about "the experience".

Realize that in a few months time, there will be new Android phones with better screens and better specs all running Android 2.2 with Flash and in the November/December time-frame, Andorid 2.3 will be out with a new User Interface and better video support.

If you want a cutting edge device with an interface that you can make all your own, then stick with Android.

In the end, if you are happy with Apple's "iPhone Experience" and AT&T as a carrier, and would rather have Apple and AT&T make the decisions for you then stick with the iPhone.

Reactions: Tenacious--M
Upvote 0
As a previous iPhone owner (swapped over to a Motorola Droid), I prefer an Android device over any iPhone now.

The Android OS is so open source that you can do practically anything. When you're with an Apple device you're locked into a boring device with a lot of useless apps. Don't get me wrong, I liked some of the apps on the App Store, but the things on Android aren't designed for 3 year olds like the iPhone is.

On an iPhone you can't change the battery, you'd have to send it in. You can't put more storage on it, with an Android device you get an SD card and can ALWAYS upgrade, without paying the hefty price. The hardware on an Android phone, like the Motorola Droid, I found was so much better quality than on the iPhones.

Upvote 0
the reason the iphone owners don't complaint like we do is because we want more and more, we know what we want and we are very productive. in the other hand iphone user just want to show off regardless of what they know about it.
apple marketing techniques are: video caller, big dial I had a 3g phone ten year ago that could do that a

Upvote 0
Depends on who you ask. Not all Android users are identical or have the same set of reasons. For me, Apple's app store approval process was the biggest reason. I don't need Apple making decisions for me. YMMV, of course. Clearly, that doesn't bother a lot of iPhone users.

Selecting a device is always a highly subjective matter. You need to determine what your reasons are for or against any platform.

Upvote 0
For me, Apple's app store approval process was the biggest reason. I don't need Apple making decisions for me. YMMV, of course. Clearly, that doesn't bother a lot of iPhone users.

I think it will when it comes to Flash. Millions of people play casual flash games on facebook. Until now all Android could say was "we could have it and iphone won't" but this was all theoretical since we had to wait for months and months. People actually have to see Flash on the android in order for them to choose android over iphone.
There's a reason why the Adobe CEO will be at the Droid event. They know it will be a killer app for them.

Upvote 0
No, it's not going to change. The Aria, while cute, isn't a high-end flagship device the likes of which are meant to compete with the iFail 4. You want phones like the Nexus, the Desire, the Evo, the Droid X, the Incredible. The Aria is a mid-range option, on par with the Hero of yesteryear, albeit in sleeker packaging.

And still better than the iPhone...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones