• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Password Request when Booting

PhilBoy

Lurker
Feb 18, 2015
After using my Tesco Hudl2 for 2 years, a few months ago when booting, I started to get a screen with a request to enter an Android Password.i have never set a Password.
When this first started, another reboot often completed normally. However, the frequency of this got worse and eventually I got it all the time.
I tried entering Google, Tesco, Hudl etc, but got a message to say the password was OK but the data was corrupt and I needed to reset it. I did this and it was OK for a while but then started the same again.
i have now Reset it several times but now cannot get past the Password Request screen so the device is unusable.
Any ideas what is causing this ?

Thanks but I am now completely unable to get in to check this since I am stuck at the Password Request screen.
However, if it was a setting in there, how come the behavior was spasmodic for a while before becoming permanent ? I am beginning to think it might be a hardware problem.
However, I see there are 2 option in the recovery menu which possibly offer me one last chance.
Apply update from ADB
Apply update from External Storage
i do not yet understand these but wonder if either of these are like booting from a Boot Floppy Disc in Windows. Are there Operating System images to be had for putting on an External SDCard ?

Upvote 0
Apply update from ADB
Apply update from External Storage
i do not yet understand these but wonder if either of these are like booting from a Boot Floppy Disc in Windows. Are there Operating System images to be had for putting on an External SDCard ?

No.

These would be referring to updates to an existing OS installation and would only patch it. They are not bootable images.

What you need to do is flash factory firmware, but I'm not sure you can get it for this device. Off-brand phones and tablets are often left twisting in the wind support-wise. There aren't bootable images for SD cards like you can do with a PC. The firmware needs to be specifically written for the particular device to run at all.

From those options I gather you are in the recovery menu. This device shipped with Android 5.0 (Lolliop) so i don't think it had FRP (Factory reset protection) which would prompt you for a password before you can reset. That password would be the last used password for the Google account you used to access the play store. If you used play for apps, then you have one.

Upvote 0
Thanks for comments. So no hope of joy from those 2 Recovery Menu options.

Another recent peculiar behavior I did not mention was Boot Recycling - i.e. it starts to boots then, after ca 10-20 secs, starts again and can do this many times before it continues and then ( of recent times ) reaches the Android PW Request screen. I tried inputting my Google A/C PW, as suggested, but no success with still the error message and the only option to Reset. Yesterday, however, trying yet again, after Boot Recycling many times, it actually booted up to the Home screen. So I was all go again and able to check Steve’s suggestion of a setting in Security for Boot PW but could find none.

So OK again at the moment and will try not to Power Off or let the battery run out but fI ear that I will eventually have to reboot and will meet the same problems.

Any suggestion of other things that I might check whilst it is alive ?

I have removed the Device Administrator rights for Find My Device, just in case that causes the problem. However, I have tried this before, thought it was the solution, only to find that I later got the Android PW Request again when I booted.

Upvote 0
Thanks for suggestion.
I had 2 Hudls, one with this problem and the other OK till I broke the screen. So, I managed to do a transplant to make one good one from the 2 - learned quite a bit about their construction. So I now have one good one and one with a broken screen AND dodgy motherboard but with possibly some other salvageable spare parts, including the battery ( I thought ) .
However, I will now bear in mind, from your comment, that the battery in that could be faulty.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones