• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android pattern lock - anyway to bypass?

wrench

Jul 6, 2010
NC
Now that I'm storing so much personal info on my phone, I'm very concerned about security.

If someone finds or steals the phone, can the pattern lock be bypassed on a CDMA phone (not sure if GSM phones are vulnerable to SIM replacement as a bypass)? If not, perhaps that's pretty good security, so long as you're careful not to let others see your unlock pattern and you wipe the screen to remove your finger trail.

Of course that still leaves the sd card unprotected, but if keep everything important in your dropbox, you can delete it from there, and probably do so before the person decides to pull the card out.

Your pattern will "lock" you out of the phone if you enter too many wrong attempts and will prompt you to enter your gmail password to unlock the phone. If you enter "null" it'll skip through it.

Hell, that's pretty insecure. :/

Though I can't seem to get it to work on my Nexus with Froyo. It locks me out for 30 seconds and I have the option to enter an email and password, however entering null for either or both doesn't bypass it.

Upvote 0
Hell, that's pretty insecure. :/
Yeah, that would have been awful.
Though I can't seem to get it to work on my Nexus with Froyo. It locks me out for 30 seconds and I have the option to enter an email and password, however entering null for either or both doesn't bypass it.
Doesn't work on my Hero with Sprint's 2.1.

Upvote 0
HEEELLPPPPP!!
Need advice from you brillian experienced Droidies...
My daughter set a patternlock on her Galaxy S2 accidently, its an Aussie version, completely unlocked with no carrier firmware etc. I have tried a few suggestions on here, ie the null gmail entry, black screen on off etc none of it is working with this galaxy s2. I dont care if i have to factory reset, there is no SD card in the phone and nothing on it that i care about losing...just the use of the darn phone....so would love any suggestions of anything else i can try to bypass or totally reset the phone.
Thanks guys...you are all so awesome here...never cease to amaze me! :0)

Upvote 0
just tried it. when you setup pattern lock, it asks for a backup question if you forget the pattern. multiple wrong tries for pattern opens a popup, enter answer to backup question or enter gmail account details.

naturally the thief wont know your backup question's answer (unless its too simple) nor would he know your gmail account login and password.

I think you're safe.

Cheers :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones