• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Pay thinks I'm rooted

El Presidente

Beware The Milky Pirate!
Jan 3, 2011
Scotland
Screenshot_20170618-101547.png

Anyone else seen this before? I'm not rooted at the moment (but that will change later tonight).

It seemed to work ok yesterday, but I can't access it today. The only thing that's changed is I went in to download mode last night to see if Odin picked up the phone or I needed to install drivers etc. I can't imagine that would change anything though as Knox is still 0:0.

No worries. Kinda moot as I'll be rooting it tonight anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone had had a similar problem.

I only setup Android Pay for the first time (on any device I've ever owned) yesterday, just to see what the deal was and say that I'd used it at least once. Looks like I'll be waiting 2 years for the next opportunity now. :p

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
I think the advantage is that it allows larger contactless purchases than a card does in this country (£30 limit, above which you have to insert the card into the machine and enter a PIN, which is obviously a huge hardship).

I've never given any thought to setting it up. Quite apart from the fact that my phone is rooted, I don't see any real benefit in doing it.

Upvote 0
Just as fast to get a card out of my wallet. Can't see the advantage.
I don't see the point in it
I use it everywhere I can. It's actually much faster than using a card, especially if it's a chip card. I don't mean faster than getting the card out and using it, I mean the actual transaction...there is practically no authorization delay. Cards seem to take much longer to authorize, I find Android Pay to be the speedy option. YMMV of course.

Upvote 0
For the sort of small transaction that you can do contactless I don't find any significant delay with authorisation. Authorisation after PIN entry is often slower. But delays may also depend on country/bank.

As for amounts, all I know is I recently asked a shop assistant why the terminal offered contactless for transactions > £30, which is the contactless card limit in the UK, and was told that people using phone-based systems had higher limits. Sounds like that is not universally true.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones