1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Android Pay thinks I'm rooted

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by El Presidente, Jun 18, 2017.

1. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member Thread Starter

Screenshot_20170618-101547.png

Anyone else seen this before? I'm not rooted at the moment (but that will change later tonight).

It seemed to work ok yesterday, but I can't access it today. The only thing that's changed is I went in to download mode last night to see if Odin picked up the phone or I needed to install drivers etc. I can't imagine that would change anything though as Knox is still 0:0.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

Have you enabled Developer Options or toggled OEM Unlock?
    Strange that just going into Download Mode would have a affect.

3. El Presidente

They've both been on since I bought the phone so I don't think it would be that either.

Really stumped :/

Jfalls63 likes this.
  4. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

My actual hands on experience with Samsung stopped at the S5. Not as simple as they use to be.

El Presidente likes this.
  5. El Presidente

No worries. Kinda moot as I'll be rooting it tonight anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone had had a similar problem.

I only setup Android Pay for the first time (on any device I've ever owned) yesterday, just to see what the deal was and say that I'd used it at least once. Looks like I'll be waiting 2 years for the next opportunity now. :p

Jfalls63 likes this.
  6. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

Have no plans to use it either. Just as fast to get a card out of my wallet. Can't see the advantage.

7. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

I think the advantage is that it allows larger contactless purchases than a card does in this country (£30 limit, above which you have to insert the card into the machine and enter a PIN, which is obviously a huge hardship).

I've never given any thought to setting it up. Quite apart from the fact that my phone is rooted, I don't see any real benefit in doing it.

El Presidente and Jfalls63 like this.
  8. El Presidente

Totally agree with all the above, I don't see the point in it, I just thought I'd give it a go whilst I was using an unrooted device.

i think it depends on the bank Hadron, I know when I set it up, HBOS told me £30 was the maximum I could spend.

Jfalls63 and Hadron like this.
  9. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

I use it everywhere I can. It's actually much faster than using a card, especially if it's a chip card. I don't mean faster than getting the card out and using it, I mean the actual transaction...there is practically no authorization delay. Cards seem to take much longer to authorize, I find Android Pay to be the speedy option. YMMV of course.

Jfalls63 and El Presidente like this.
  10. El Presidente

Yeah, I'd need to take my phone out of the case to use and taking a card out of my wallet is easier.

11. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

For the sort of small transaction that you can do contactless I don't find any significant delay with authorisation. Authorisation after PIN entry is often slower. But delays may also depend on country/bank.

As for amounts, all I know is I recently asked a shop assistant why the terminal offered contactless for transactions > £30, which is the contactless card limit in the UK, and was told that people using phone-based systems had higher limits. Sounds like that is not universally true.

Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus release date was April 2017. Features and Specs include a 6.2" inch screen, 12MP camera, 4/6GB RAM, Exynos 8895 processor, and 3500mAh battery.

April 2017
Release Date
Reviews