• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android pc now what

I finally dragged the PC to some place that actually has Wi-Fi. It wasn't easy but I got connected. When I found Ubuntu they were charging $15 and I couldn't just download it to the hard drive. I don't know why not, but I guess I would have to get a flash drive and burn that all up somehow. Then I found out how to check the PC if it's 64 bits... it's only 32. I don't know how I'm going to do this. Is there some old free version of Ubuntu that's 32 bits?

Upvote 0
Thanks, that looks helpful. Do they still charge for it? I thought Ubuntu was free. Also, is there a way to download directly to the hard drive? I don't have a flash drive.

Ubuntu is free to download and install.
Installation is normally via DVD, or flash drive, containing a bootable image.
See here for information on how to do that -

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
The PC imported only some of the files, photos and videos, from the Z815. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I have tried using it as a media device, mtp, and camera, ptp. I also made sure it installed the driver. Is there anything else I can do to copy them? Would Ubuntu help?

Upvote 0
That's the one with the Windows symbol, right? It has a bunch of weird tiles, one of them with Internet Explorer, but of course that's not the same thing. The only Internet I've got anyway is with this crazy phone. Meanwhile, I tried searching the hard drive and it eventually came up with a lot of them, including some called toast. Hey, don't look at me. Anyway, since none of them seemed to be an executable file, I chose the first one and tried to open it. Some sort of chalkboard briefly appeared, but it vanished before I could examine it.

Upvote 0
I think I got Ubuntu downloaded but it wasn't to the flash drive, at least not originally. I got it either copied or moved there. Then it asked what I wanted to use to open it. I ended up also getting Torrex because it said it was for torrents, but I still don't know how to open and run Ubuntu. I got the 32 bit desktop that was the last before the latest LTE, or whatever it's called. I think it's 16 something. I figured I could use the longest term support possible.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones