1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Android phone into webcam that can be viewed externally

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by mg4android, Jan 12, 2012.

1. mg4android

mg4android Newbie
    None

Jun 24, 2010
    Is there a webcam application that turns your android phone into a webcam that can be viewed externally for when your not at home ?

IP Cam only works if your on the SAME Wifi network which doesnt help if your not at home.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

2. chrstdvd

chrstdvd Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 28, 2010
    Retired
    Virginia
    I am confused a tad. You want to view your web camera on your phone? If so, I have got an app from Amazon a few days ago, Splashtop Remote Desktop, that allows you to control your computer from anywhere over 3G. It is the best app I have for remote viewing of my home computer as long as the computer is on. Anything you can do at your computer you can do from your phone. See if that will help you.

3. mg4android

mg4android Newbie
    None

Jun 24, 2010
    I want the phone to be a webcam similar to the IPCam application....except that the cam should be viewable outside of your local network from an outside location (office,etc.).

4. chrstdvd

chrstdvd Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 28, 2010
    Retired
    Virginia
    Ok that is what I thought U meant in OP. I am having a twilight zone moment with this. U want to be in Tim Buck Two turn on ur camera and have ur computer at home see/record?

Let me know. interesting.

5. Encubus

Encubus Lurker
    None

Dec 14, 2011
    I agree with chrstdvd. I prefer free Teamviewer though. Like with Splashtop Remote Desktop you can operate your PC or Mac via the internet. Which means you can remotely operate your PC's or Mac's webcam (assuming it's got one) from your phone or tablet, and see on that phone or tablet what that webcam sees.
    Of course anybody else in that room sees the live desktop on that PC's or Mac's screen unless you have it specially covered (allowing for the cam to peep through...).

Using an Android phone as a a remote cam is also possible. With the free IP Webcam app. But it's got to be started before you leave the room/space it's supposed to be monitoring, and the URL it provides must be entered into a browser on the mobile device you will be using. Gives you a chance to check whether it's working or not.
    Stuff like this drains the battery of a phone inside an hour, so you better hook it up to some USB port.

6. mg4android

mg4android Newbie
    None

Jun 24, 2010
    I am not asking about remotely controlling my PC from my phone.

As I mentioned I already looked at IP WebCam which has all the functionality
    I was mentioning except it only works within the SAME home network so you cannot monitor from outside (office,etc.)

Does anyone have any further ideas !?!