• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android (phone) issue

ChaChaCha

Lurker
Apr 18, 2012
So...I am a new Android owner (formerly a BB user) and went against all social pressures to by an iphone. I am relatively happy with the phone except for a couple of things that are starting to bug me. I've had the phone for about two weeks and need to decide if I am keeping it or going to go for the apple connection.
First off...no one talks about the actual phone part of the 'phone'. I am finding it's not great...not clear...breaks up alot. ALSO, and this is the kicker, when I am actually on the phone, with it up to my ear, I hang up or disconnect or mute or something...but almost every time I can hear my other party going 'hello? hello? are you still there? I hear beeping. I can't hear you" click.
Also, texting sucks...but I read on your forum to try the android texting (which I will try) and someone downloaded an ap for 'iphone' texting...which i might try, as well.
Thanks for any input.

What phone do you have? For the "breaking up" part, it maybe you have a faulty device. Unlike BB and iPhones, Androids have many manufacturers, which means the quality between Android devices differ. For example, the high end Samsung and HTC phones like the Galaxy S2 and the One X will have exceptional hardware on par and in some cases better than the iPhone. I have a Galaxy SL and I don't have those issues in calling and breaking up.

A cheap phone from some unknown Chinese manufacturer will of course have worse quality than more expensive units from more established manufacturers.

Upvote 0
As I reread your post, I realized that the problem may actually be you are holding it wrong. The phone has a proximity sensor which, when you hold the phone properly to your head, it would turn off the screen automatically when you press it against your face so your cheek wont activate the mute or hang up buttons. Also the sensor is positioned so that when you hold it properly, the earpiece is aligned correctly to your ear so you can hear the other end properly. Since the proximity sensor is only sporadically activated in your case, you probably wasn't holding it right.

Upvote 0
As I reread your post, I realized that the problem may actually be you are holding it wrong. The phone has a proximity sensor which, when you hold the phone properly to your head, it would turn off the screen automatically when you press it against your face so your cheek wont activate the mute or hang up buttons. Also the sensor is positioned so that when you hold it properly, the earpiece is aligned correctly to your ear so you can hear the other end properly. Since the proximity sensor is only sporadically activated in your case, you probably wasn't holding it right.

Are you Steve Jobs reincarnate?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones