• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android phone that doesn't sync contacts to the cloud?

They're pretty much all designed to sync with the cloud and require a Google account. You don't have to do anything with the Google account though and there are manual sync options out there. It's going to be a PITA if you want to go against the grain.

Android seems cool because of the customization capabilities, but I don't know where my data is.
On the device and synced. It can depend on the specific data you're asking about though.

Any recommendations of non-smartphones?
There are some tablets and media devices but the majority will be smartphones.

Upvote 0
No, you don't have to sync calendar and contacts to the cloud if you don't want to (and I'm one of those who doesn't see why I'd want to...I'm perfectly capable of backing up my own data, and prefer the security of knowing I've done so). My HTC Incredible came with software to sync calendar and contacts with Outlook. There are also a couple of third party solutions for syncing to the desktop if you have a non-HTC phone (I don't know if other brands come with anything like HTCSync, sorry). Or you can root the phone and back up everything to your SD card - however this voids your warranty (but it's reversible ;) ).

I think a Gmail account is a necessity when activating one of these phones though. But I've never used mine for anything, except to glance at emails I've gotten in response to app purchases in the Market.

Upvote 0
Is this just the nature of Android, that contacts have to be sync'ed back to some Internet server? Or even that you must have an email address to even use the damn thing?

I have a Motorola Backflip. Android seems cool because of the customization capabilities, but I don't know where my data is. Is there any Android phone that keeps contacts local & doesn't "phone home"?

Of the 2GB dataplan that AT&T automatically added once I plugged my SIM card in, I've only racked up 50MB of data for the whole billing period (which ends in a couple days). I like Android but don't need 3G or Internet.

Any recommendations of non-smartphones?

ATT has a $15, 200MB a month smartphone data plan, just for lite users like yourself, vs $25 for the 2GB and $30 for most carriers Smartphone data plan. Sound like you should at least check that out.

I work for a big company and big companies usually get 20% discount at ATT, so I pay even less. I pay about 20 for 2GB data.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones