• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Phone To PC Without USB Cable

paradroidx

Lurker
Jul 28, 2020
I have a Samsung S10 mobile phone. When transferring files from the phone to the PC, I still find it easier connecting the USB cable between the 2, and simply using Windows Explorer to copy of paste from the phone (to the PC).

I would like this straight forward interface to be available without the cable - via Wifi (I would probably even settle for slower Bluetooth to get a simple cut/copy & paste operation). The apps I have tried all seem to add extra layers and steps to the process, making the 'plug in a cable' method easier.

For example, I installed Samsung Flow. To get a photo from the phone to the PC, you have to select the photo, share it, select Flow (to share it to), then it transfers to the Flow app on the PC (or you can find the photo in a specially created Flow folder under user/pictures) - where you just have to move it to desired place on PC.

I can connect the cable, and simply copy (or cut) and paste (to the PC) in less time.

I am sure I am missing something - someone please put me out of my misery.

Technically you copy and paste your file to the pc. Once copied you can then delete the file from your phone

OK, perhaps what I am looking for really does not exist then. I want it to be similar to connecting the phone via USB cable. Be able to use Windows explorer to gain access to the root directory of the phone, and be able to browse (mainly to the photos section).

Goto "\Phone\DCIM\Camera" select a photo or photos. Copy or cut, and then simply paste onto the PC. Same as if I had the cable connected.

Upvote 0
OK, perhaps what I am looking for really does not exist then. I want it to be similar to connecting the phone via USB cable. Be able to use Windows explorer to gain access to the root directory of the phone, and be able to browse (mainly to the photos section).

Goto "\Phone\DCIM\Camera" select a photo or photos. Copy or cut, and then simply paste onto the PC. Same as if I had the cable connected.

I don't know the S10, but unless it's got some form of wireless remote access built in, e.g. FTP, you're going to have to install a third-party app, and open it when you want your Windows Explorer to connect. Does Windows have FTP support built-in?

I can do this with my Huawei as it has FTP built in, and I can connect immediately with WiFi using Finder on my Mac.

Upvote 0

Isn't this basically the same effort as opening your gallery or file manager, selecting the desired file, sharing them with the app, then designating the destination?

Upvote 0
You might want to take a look at Airdroid. As long as your phone and computer are on the same Wi-Fi network, you can use it the way you want. It lets you view your phone from a web browser on your computer; you can transfer files in both directions.

But for heavy-duty file management, using an Android file manager is much easier and more powerful. I see that several have been suggested, and they're all good, but my personal favorite is MiXplorer Silver. I use it day in and day out to manage files on my Linux network, transfer files from and to my Android devices and computers, as well as do file management tasks.

For example, I use it to mass rename hundreds of files on my PCs; its features include things like replacing one character string with another. So say there are 500 files on an external drive named:
DCP_XXXX_four_PeacockChicks.JPG

and I want all of them renamed:
dcp_XXXX_4_female_peachicks_052716.jpg

it takes about 5 seconds to accomplish that.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones