• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android reboots when audio/video is played

Irtiza

Lurker
Jul 16, 2018
A Unique Android Problem

I have a Huawei Honor 4c (CHM-U01) .
About two years ago , the device had a problem with its power circuit .
Since then , it has been unable to run any audio or video
Problems with the device :

If an audio or video is played , the device crashes and reboots immediately .
This includes touch sounds , notification sounds , app sounds , sounds associated with calling , playing a video , video ads in apps etc... Audio recorder , voice input , text to speech , inserting a device in the audio jack also cause a reboot .
The device was still stock when his problem started . It has since been rooted and has been upgraded to Android 6.0
What the device can still do
Sms , WiFi , Bluetooth and all apps work ( unless they have audio or video )
Basically anything without audio/video input/output works fine .
Taking pictures with camera works but making a video = reboot
Messaging apps can also be used by turning off their sounds from their settings.
By muting the device sounds and using adaway to block the video ads , most apps works normally .
But apps that have sounds on by default do not work . even if there is an option to turn off sounds when app starts ,, it can not be used since the device reboots as soon as the app is launched .
Deleted all user and system audio files and audio apps .

But often while using a browser to view web pages an auto playing video reboots the phone
can't use apps/games that come with audio turned on
Is there any way to completely remove sound output and audio/video players in android ?

Reactions: haphuongt85
Have you tried flashing the stock rom?
Yes . Formatted the device and Flashed stock rom several times , tried several custom roms too .
The problem is that the android reboots when an audio or video attempts to play , regardless of the firmware being used .

The root of the problem is probably the deteriorated power management chip .
How it all started
When the device first started malfunctioning an year ago , no audio was playing and there was no headphone inserted .
It just froze and cold not be turned off by holding power button either . it turned off when the battery ran out.
For week sit would not even boot up and not even charge when plugged in .
Started working after a month in the same way as it does today . anything but audio or video .
The customer service deemed the power chip broken and recommended replacing the motherboard .
Even with media volume set to 0 , playing an audio file or starting an app that play audio causes a restart .
What I have tried :
Installed stock firmware , unlocked bootloader , installed twrp , rooted with super SU , Installed Official CHM-U01 android 6.0 update .The problem persisted with every firmware .

I have tried several fixes to make the phone work the best it can with these limitations .
- Turned off audio notifications / tones of all applications .
- Disabled video auto-play on Facebook lite .
- Uninstalled the system Music and Video apps and deleted all system sounds .
- Turned off touch , dial-pad , unlocking sounds etc...
-Adaway to block video ads
>GIF , wifi , mobile data , sms service , flashlight , camera ( picture only ) , all apps without audio/video work
But there are still many problems
- Videos on webpages auto-play and cause a reboot
> Calls ( they are all audio ) , voice recorder , Radio , video camera , sounds , videos all cause a reboot .
If headphones are connected in the audio jack , the device gets into a bootloop and starts only when headphones are removed .
- apps that have startup audio ( even if it can be turned off after starting app , it can't be done since android restarts as soon as app starts )

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It sounds like anything that contains an audio stream is causing this to happen. And since you said it began with a hardware problem, I'd venture a guess that the repair wasn't done properly, or the original diagnosis wasn't completely correct. In any case this is a hardware issue and no amount of software or firmware will fix it. You need to get the phone repaired or replaced. (Some great deals on Amazon Prime day today ;) )

Upvote 0
Obviously you aren't ready to replace your device..sounds like a short circuit to me..like Loonie said, take it to repair in your city..doesn't have to be the dealer or your service provider..there's people that are really good at this stuff..apparently even Amazon prime is offering this service too..

It's funny that I've been having the same issue with my §5 but just when I take a picture but it's not all the times..and I use the stock camera and a camera app..and in both does it..I began to think is when the phone is rooted because I can't think of any other reason why the electricity on the phone gets messed up like that..

So what it does, it shuts my phone off right then when I take a picture(not all the times..just randomly)..and it does not reboot..I have to take the battery out and put it back on and hit the power button for a few seconds(is the only way that will boot again)

I use an extended battery on my phone, I don't know if the op has one too..maybe that could be the reason..it might alter the current on the phone..

Ps, I'm not trying to jack the op's topic, just trying to bring alternatives and ideas to the table..so we can get to the bottom of it..

Last edited:
Reactions: KBU2 and Irtiza
Upvote 0
Both , the customer service and mobile repair place recommended to replace the motherboard as just the power management circuit can't be replaced or repaired .
it was rather expensive and and we instead purchased a new Samsung Galaxy J5 .
Just trying to make the most of of this honor 4c , since it works perfectly unless audio/video is involved .

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
It sounds like anything that contains an audio stream is causing this to happen. And since you said it began with a hardware problem, I'd venture a guess that the repair wasn't done properly, or the original diagnosis wasn't completely correct. In any case this is a hardware issue and no amount of software or firmware will fix it. You need to get the phone repaired or replaced. (Some great deals on Amazon Prime day today ;) )
Yep .
The mobile reboots whenever an audio/video event is triggered . The audio/video doesn't play at all . just a reboot .
it I supposed to be a faulty Power management IC . Nothing can be done except to replace the motherboard .
I would love to find a way to stop any audio/video event from taking place .
Whenever I install an app , the first thing i do is to disable all audio associated with it . Too bad if an app comes with starting music .

Upvote 0
Obviously you aren't ready to replace your device..sounds like a short circuit to me..like Loonie said, take it to repair in your city..doesn't have to be the dealer or your service provider..there's people that are really good at this stuff..apparently even Amazon prime is offering this service too..

It's funny that I've been having the same issue with my §5 but just when I take a picture but it's not all the times..and I use the stock camera and a camera app..and in both does it..I began to think is when the phone is rooted because I can't think of any other reason why the electricity on the phone gets messed up like that..

So what it does, it shuts my phone off right then when I take a picture(not all the times..just randomly)..and it does not reboot..I have to take the battery out and put it back on and hit the power button for a few seconds(is the only way that will boot again)

I use an extended battery on my phone, I don't know if the op has one too..maybe that could be the reason..it might alter the current on the phone..

Ps, I'm not trying to jack the op's topic, just trying to bring alternatives and ideas to the table..so we can get to the bottom of it..
Years ago , the mobile just froze up and wouldn't force reboot . Shut down after the battery was drained .
Only things that cause reboot are audio and video events . Not a single miss . an audio/video event is triggered and the next thing is a reboot . never plays the audio/video for even a sec . just reboots as soon as it has to do so .
Problem started with the stock phone . Battery is still stock . Have root now , but my problem is not affected by any changes in the OS .
Attributed to a faulty power management IC . Can perform any power intensive task and do just about anything without audio and video . .
You might want to backup your data in case your problem escalates .
On a side note , my problem also acts as a powerful lock . If I turn on screen unlock sound , no one can use phone .
Just have to hold volume down for a few sec to set to vibrate an unlock without a problem xD

Upvote 0
It sounds like you'd have to disable so much just to prevent the shutdown event that the phone would be practically unusable.
No , I wouldn't say that .
I'm currently using it without too many problems. It is pretty usable once you turn off all sorts of sounds and you only have to do that once .
Only things that don't work are audio , calls , videos with audio or anything with audio .
1)Videos without an audio stream work perfectly . Removed video's audio stream with decoder . Worked fine .
2)Disassembled the phone , reboots on audio persisted with all audio hardware disconnected .
Confirmed it to be a problem with Power management IC or the Flash IC .

Upvote 0
In same cases when Android begins to act goofy like that after it's been rooted, Is because there's an issue with the device clock/ calendar settings.
it was absolutely stock and un-rooted when this problem started .
I rooted it an year later to increase funtionality and get root apps .
Root had no affect on the problem itself . The problem is with the flash or power IC and firmware , root , audio hardware etc do not impact it .
What I know is that only an audio stream , of any origin , causes a reboot .
I want to find a way to stop the android from trying to run the audio streams.
Videos can e played after their audio stream is removed with an encoder

Upvote 0

I don't have the same phone, I have Android LG V20, but I was having all the same effects of my phone powering down and heating up really bad as soon as I started using Audio or Video plus Audio and it was rebooting due to it. The phone had an aftermarket battery in it called Taeozi. I come across this page and was just about to order a replacement motherboard for the phone, but thought hey let me try a few of the old batteries I had, both are expanding and I thought both were toast but I thought what the heck I grabbed them tossed the largest one in, another aftermarket battery, and turned it on and the problem is gone now. I originally had some code that was popping up and it wouldn't boot up, so I ordered that Taeozi, but now the code is gone, plus the rebooting/ crashing stopped. I'm not sure why but the battery was causing the operating system to reboot it seems due to whatever issues the battery was having.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones