• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android sales up 886%; now #1 in USA

Agree, the Iphone is great, but not greater than an Evo, Incredible, Droid, Droid X, Nexus, G1, etc etc etc. Heck it would have a hard time beating a few of those one v one, certainly not 1 v a lot of em.

Not to mention it's on the crappiest major carrier in the states. Apple will have to split from ATT (or at least add more carriers) to stay relevant. If they can do that, it will at the least make the Iphone relevant again.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't be surprised if in 2-3 years people are saying, "iPhone who?" These past 8 months or so they've been passed up in functionality and unless Apple gets on other networks QUICK, and gives the iPhone more functionality they will soon be an afterthought. Facetime and a super resolution is not going to be enough to keep people from moving to Android. iPhone is no longer the coolest phone to have IMO.

I mean think about it, the Evo has:

Flash
FREE turn-by-turn navigation through Sprint or Google
USB Tethering and WiFi Hotspot
UNLIMITED DATA AND TEXT <<<---------- This right here is reason ENOUGH
4G on a non-congested network
CHEAPER MONTHLY PLAN w/ unlimited mobile to mobile

All my iPhone friends are asking me to install some apps SO THAT THEY CAN TEXT ME WITHOUT USING THEIR LIMITED TEXTING PLANS. That's a JOKE that you need all your friends and family to download a certain app just you you can send them a 140 byte piece of data BECAUSE THEIR TEXTING PLAN IS TOO FREAKIN EXPENSIVE.

Upvote 0
What you're seeing here is the first generation of Android phones that can go toe to toe with the iPhone and in many areas are simply better. The 3GS had a technological superiority over other smartphones in the market that made up for its shortcomings including poor phone reception. But the iPhone4 can only point to a higher res screen and nicer camera -- it gets beaten out in many other areas by the Droid X, Evo, and Galaxy phones, and the phone reception is superior to the iPhone4 across the board. This is anecdotal, but I know a bunch of people at work who own iPhones. Only one person got the i4 -- the rest are sticking with the 3GS because of the antenna and reception issues. That's one i4 user to eight 3GS users. They are all snakebit. And the one guy who has the i4 loves most of his iPhone except the phone reception, which is so bad at home that he can't move when he makes a call because it will drop. But he's past the 30 day return period and can't leave without forking over $325.

This reception thing is really killing Apple now.

Upvote 0
apple is excellent at marketing, not so good at executing.

Fixed that for ya ;)

My only issue with the android growth...

I like people to have choices. When WM, Symbian, and iOS fade and RIM starts putting Android on their devices (my hypothesis), choice is gone. I'm perfectly happy seeing someone proud of their HD2, or their iphone4, or their n900, or whatever. I am happy with my android.

Once everyone is special, no one is.

Upvote 0
I still don't think Verizon would want the Apple baggage. AT&T's network image has taken a big hit since the iPhone was released. The Droid's are doing great, and they pretty much have as much control as they want over that line. They will have no control in a partnership with Apple. Why mess with a good thing?

Only a couple AT&T executives were even allowed to see the first iPhone before it was announced to the public. Verizon wouldn't ever stand for that, they'd want to test it thoroughly first to make sure it won't make their network look like crap.

Upvote 0
Fixed that for ya ;)

My only issue with the android growth...

I like people to have choices. When WM, Symbian, and iOS fade and RIM starts putting Android on their devices (my hypothesis), choice is gone. I'm perfectly happy seeing someone proud of their HD2, or their iphone4, or their n900, or whatever. I am happy with my android.

Once everyone is special, no one is.

I think you are going to see phone manufacturers customize stock android more and more to differentiate their products. I don't like the idea of one dominant OS either. If I had to choose one of the five though, it would be android since it is open source and easily modified.

Upvote 0
BlackBerry users running out of loyalty: 50 percent plan to defect to iPhone or Android

---------------------------------

Nielsen has its own angle on the smartphone numbers game out today, and the results vaguely resemble the numbers from Canalys. Perhaps more interesting than the ever present market share tug-of-war (Nielsen pegs Google, RIM, and Apple at 27 percent, 33 percent, and 23 percent in sales to new smartphone subscribers, respectively) a note on brand loyalty turns out ugly for BlackBerry: while 89 percent of iPhone owners plan on getting another iPhone, and 71 percent of Android buyers plan to re-up, only 42 percent of BlackBerry owners plan to stick around.

BlackBerry users running out of loyalty: 50 percent plan to defect to iPhone or Android -- Engadget

Upvote 0
lets be honest; the only reason most folks stick with Blackberry now a days is a corporate edit that they must; when there is a choice by the user, its rarely blackberry..they just dont have any "kool" stuff anymore...
True! I had a BB for all of 8 months before I bailed (and WM before that) and two of my friends went from a BB to Android and are very happy. BB is a great corporate phone, but that's about it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones