• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android saving contacts in local DB

Does android allow saving contacts in application's local Database? Need this information before I publish an app on play store.
you can have your cantacts backed up on an sd card.....does this count? i'm not a developer so i do not know about app's local db. i alerted the mods to move this to the dev section for better views and help.

https://androidforums.com/forums/28

Upvote 0
Sorry, thought I'd posted this a few days ago but see it still in the drafts:

Android always saves contacts in a local database, which is accessible by any app which is granted the permission to access it.

Are you wanting to access that, in which case your app will have to request the permission (and on modern android versions the user will have to grant it)? Or are you asking about storing contacts separately within your own app's data (in which case I'm sure it's technically possible, don't know what if any rules there might be about that).

Upvote 0
So it's not whether Android allows that but whether Google's Play Store conditions allow that. As I've never submitted an app to them I've never had the need to go through their conditions in detail, so can't help with that.

Certainly apps can access the contacts data and write them out (backup apps do this), so I don't see that storing their own copy should be more of an issue. After all, they are the user's data, not Google's, so as long as you make clear what you are doing in advance I don't see rationally that it would be Google's problem (of course as a user I would like to know what you are doing with the data before I install the app or give you access, but that's true regardless). However what's reasonable and what's in the Play Store rules are not always the same thing, so I'd suggest reading in detail.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones