1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Android scared?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Rennfield, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Rennfield

Rennfield Newbie
    None

May 20, 2011
    Male
    Remote Services Technician
    PA
    So I was looking around in the settings of my new phone and noticed that the software version says it's scared. Now it's rooted with a custom room, it's the ZTE Score M. Also wouldn't mind knowing which apps on the phone are safe to remove and not brick it. And I'm sorry if this is in the wrong spot.

Advertisement

2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    Give it a cuddle :hug:
    JK lol. Is it low on internal storage?

3. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Chinese phone. You can safely remove Renren, Weibo, Sina, Weixin, QQ, Youku, Tudou and Taobao. That's usually what comes with them.

4. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Android Expert
    None

Jun 17, 2011
    Owensboro, KY
    Some Dev probably put that in there to be cute when he did whatever ROM was on the device. You can make it say just about anything via editing build.prop

Rennfield likes this.
  5. Rennfield

Rennfield Newbie
    None

May 20, 2011
    Male
    PA
    Haha nice, it was a rom that PlayfulGod posted in his post about the no PC root for this phone. None of those apps are showing up when I use Titanium Backup. I got it from MetroPCS directly not Ebay or online if that helps. Thanks for the replies btw.

6. Rennfield

Rennfield Newbie
    None

May 20, 2011
    Male
    PA
    Oh and no it isn't "low" on storage but out of 256 mb of onboard storage it came with 25 mb left and I've only been able to bring out to 31.

7. nickdalzell

None

Jun 17, 2011
    Owensboro, KY
    25mb remaining actually is low. If it dips to 20 or below an icon up top shows up saying 'low space. Phone storage space is running low' and your sync will be disabled until you delete some things.

Rennfield, funkylogik and mikedt like this.
  8. Rennfield

Rennfield Newbie
    None

May 20, 2011
    Male
    PA
    Yeah I found that one out the hard way. My problem is this is my first Android phone, I've flashed them before but just sent the phone on it's easy with it's owner, never really got any alone time with the phones. So at this point figuring out how to discard certain apps and which ones are safe to remove and how to force other apps like Maps and YouTube to move to the SD card. And how to keep updates and cache to the SD card.

9. nickdalzell

None

Jun 17, 2011
    Owensboro, KY
    Have you tried an sd-ext partition? Those do wonders for working around low internal storage, they basically make the phone think it has far more than it really does. If you say, used an 8GB card, the internal storage in settings--storage will display 8GB of 'internal' storage if using an sd-ext. I find it preferable to apps2sd because simply moving to SD still leaves certain parts on the internal which means you still quickly run out if your device has little internal memory to begin with.

Rennfield likes this.
  10. Rennfield

Rennfield Newbie
    None

May 20, 2011
    Male
    PA
    No I hadn't thought of it, don't know how to either (though that might be do to sleepiness) what do I need to do?

11. HiImGracie

HiImGracie Lurker
    None

Aug 7, 2013
    How do I do this? I've got a Huawei m860 running Cricket 3g rooted

12. nickdalzell

None

Jun 17, 2011
    Owensboro, KY
    I suggest checking the 'all things root' subforums for your particular phones. Often a rooting and custom recovery guide is there which explains the whole sd-ext thing, or you can start a thread for it. What you do basically is boot into the custom recovery and go to partition setup and add one for the external SD card, and it allows you to select whatever size you like out of the total capacity of the card. You'd also need a ROM that has support for sd-ext partitions so it automounts on boot.

Rennfield likes this.
  13. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Just occurred to me that this might be a cute way of saying "kernel panic".

14. divinebovine

divinebovine Android Expert
    None

Aug 30, 2012
    Yeah, the normal SD-installation of apps (often called app2sd) isn't very useful, it only moves a little bit of the app. On phone without much space to begin with you still are very limited.

The ROM-supported complete SD-EXT partition is great if you can get a ROM for it, but if not you're not out of luck. You can use link2sd, which uses the same type of partition but handles everything after the OS boots. You won't see any more space listed for internal storage, but neither will your apps use that space. Their data will but once you've moved everything to SD that way it should work. My phone was exactly the same way and link2sd fixed me up just fine.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.buak.Link2SD
    Description - Link2SD

15. nickdalzell

None

Jun 17, 2011
    Owensboro, KY
    Link2SD did the same problem. it only moved certain parts of apps to the SD card. i was using that (root) on a ZTE Merit and i still ran out of space. all Link2SD seemed to accomplish is allowing any app to move parts of their data to SD, as the stock feature built into Android 2.2+ only allowed specific apps to do that.

I could make Android report all sorts of things via build.prop hacks. if i wanted, i could make the Play Store think my Galaxy SIII is a Nexus 4.

Word of advice. if you do get an SD-EXT ROM and get it working, i suggest at least using a Class 10 SD Card. anything less, like a Class 4, is so slow that you'll be staring at a big blank screen if you launch a large enough app, and may have to dismiss a few dozen 'The Application XXXX in thread YYY is not responding' prompts.

16. divinebovine

divinebovine Android Expert
    None

Aug 30, 2012
    I haven't had link2sd work like that. When I tell it to link an app, it moves the .apk, the dalvik-cache, and the libraries, leaving only the data. On my stock ROM the dalvik-cache got un-linked on every reboot and I had to go into link2sd, hit the menu, and tell it to re-link the dalvik-cache, but in my research I found that that's not common.

Anyway, it's certainly not as good as an SD-EXT ROM would be but if you can't get one then it's likely to be good enough.

17. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    I have used Link2SD, and found I could choose which bits of an app I moved, which was nice.

However, while it was fine on a reboot, if I wiped the dalvik cache if wouldn't remember that I'd.moved it and would try to rebuild it in internal storage, which didn't have enough space. So after a while I just installed an a2sd script instead.

18. Rennfield

Rennfield Newbie
    None

May 20, 2011
    Male
    PA
    I'm not entirely sure that I have a ROM that supports an SD-EXT. I tried with the instructions from the XDA forums but the phone say all night saying "Preparing SD card". I'll check and see if there's another ROM I can download for the phone by I don't even remember what mine is called.:thinking:

19. Rennfield

Rennfield Newbie
    None

May 20, 2011
    Male
    PA
    Alright, I got cyanogen mod to install on my score m. Does anyone know if it supports SD-EXT partitions? Also when I tell ROM Manager to partition the SD card it wants to reboot and the not partition. I'm using the free version, does that have anything to do with it?

Tags: