• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Android SDK Installer Cant find JDK

GraemeLeech

Lurker
Feb 13, 2011
Hey Folks, I have a problem with my Android SDK Installer. When I run it to install the SDK it says it can't find the JDK. I have installed JDK, with Glassfish, and have updated the Path Variables to point to it. I am developing with Eclipse Helios, and that can find the JDK. My computer is running Windows 7, 64 Bit OS. Any Ideas how I can get the Android SDK Installer to find the JDK? Much Appreciated !!!
Graeme.

When this happens I just download the .zip SDK folder instead of the installer. Then there is usually no whining from the installer not being able to find the JDK in the expected folder...

Just unZip it wherever you want it on your harddrive, and run the SDKManager that comes with it. Then install all the API levels you want and make a Virtual Device.
And then, when you have installed the ADT in Eclipse, just setup the Android settings to point to the folder where you previously unZipped the SDK...

HF :)

Upvote 0
Right on! In the book of right on, you were right on. To amplify, I unpacked the sdk installer program (.exe) with Universal Extractor. I got the file "SDK Manager.exe" and three sub-directories: $_OUTDIR, $COMMONFILES, and $PLUGINSDIR. After running the SDK Manager (unsuccessfully) I realized that it was looking for the "tools" directory inside $_OUTDIR. I copied the tools folder up to the same level as $_OUTDIR and ran the SDK Manager again. Voila, success! Then I did the Pre-K back one step Samba. Hooray, problem solved as written. Now I'm a happy camper too. Muchas Gracias (many thanks)!!

Upvote 0
I have tried all the methods none of them worked.If you have already installed jdk-10 or any other then uninstall it and install jdk-8. If you created the path variables then immediately remove the 'JAVA_HOME' variable and also remove the java path from 'PATH' variable. Then install the jdk-8, and try to install sdk manager it works perfectly.

Upvote 0
You can still have & use any java you desire installed, just use the terminal to manually select the java & javac you wish to use via:

sudo update-alternatives --config java

sudo update-alternatives --config javac

I have Java7 (LP5.0-MM6.0), Java8(N7.0-O8.1), & Java9(P-Q), just switch as needed..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones